Should I keep '95 Jeep as a spare vehicle rather than sell it for peanuts?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by allfiredup, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    That was thanks to tougher emission laws. The 4.0l was old tech that they couldn't make good enough. The 3.7l was able to pass the emission standards. It'll get even worse when they need to meet higher fuel efficiency standards too.

2. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is an I6 any less fuel efficient than a v6, or is it purley the 4l vs 3.7l
    and in that case, why not just replace it with a 3.7l I6? (assuming the first question is a no)

3. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Im going to have to disagree with you on the power. The 3.7l in my KJ pulls pretty hard, can tow 5000lbs and gets 20-24MPG. All pretty decent stats for a truck like 4200lbs + off road model. Not to mention many of the 3.7l are hitting the 200k, 300k and so on mile markers. One guy over on Jeepforums.com got like 350k+ on his 3.7l.

3.7l V6 had 210HP and 235LB/ft torque.

4.0l I6 had 190HP and 225LB/ft torque.

Both had a slush box 4 speed AT with O/D.

Very true, but the 3.7 does just fine for a work horse engine in my experience.

The fuel economy is pretty similar between the two engines, the 3.7l is MAYBE +1 MPG. We all just have to remember that jeep puts an engine that is good enough for utility, GVWR, wheeling and light-decent towing, and tons of gear/people hauling. Dont expect a sporty experience with a jeep unless you think a work vehicle/utility is sporty. :)

4. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    be weary that if it isn't driven that often, it can just sit and rust and you can find many problems. check the break lines thoroughly.

5. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    This is a surprising fact about newer jeeps (1990 and newer), they seem to do alright if driven but rust way to fast for an off road vehicle. A buddy of mine had a YJ that was decent underneath, yet my Dads friend acquired a 2001 Cherokee with 20kish that had rusted out drivetrain and suspension. At least its not the body, and only the replaceable parts.

6. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    i took in my grandmas car that she used to drive to get her nails / hair done, and to the grocery store. 6 years old, 12K miles. she didn't drive it much all winter. when i started driving it often, i noticed many bumps and bruises mechanically. we got them fixed, and everything was perfect... and then some dude in an SUV came up and sideswiped the car (last November), totaled it, and now i got my 98 mustang.

7. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  8. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    But there's one big difference between those torque figures:

3.7L- 235lb-ft @ 4000rpm
    4.0L- 225lb-ft @ 3000rpm

The 4.0L has more thrust on the low-end! The only 3.7L I've driven is a friend's Liberty (ugh!). It was not nearly as responsive from a stop and, if four adults were in the car, it felt overtaxed...Glad to hear they're reliable, though...Chrysler isn't exactly synonimous with reliability. :D

9. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    It has nothing to do with the displacement or cylinder arrangement, it's just that the engine itself produces less pollution out of it. It could get worse fuel economy and still have better emissions.

10. stewie

stewie What the deuce?

Reputations:
    Late to the discussion, but I see you'd already made up the decision. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.