Should I keep '95 Jeep as a spare vehicle rather than sell it for peanuts?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by allfiredup, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My parents have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that they bought new in 12/94. It has 204,000 miles on it, but it's in very good condition inside and out. Mechanically, it's fine and it's always been well maintained (and driven by my mom, a school bus driver). It's 2WD and it has the bullet-proof AMC-designed 4.0L I6, so no impending major repairs seem imminent.

KBB and NADA price it at about $2400-$2800 Private Party Value, but Edmunds only values it at $1135! A guy in their neighborhood offered them $1800 and my dad asked me what I thought about it....and he told me he'd just give it to me if I wanted it!

It's still a dang good SUV and I'd hate for them to sell it for next to nothing! It would be useful for trips to Home Depot and the landscaping supply place...it'd spare my Mazda3 from getting filthy and/or scuffed up in the process....

What should I do?

2. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Got room to park it? Gonna be able to swing the extra insurance costs? If so, introduce the new member of the family to the neighborhood. If it's still running well, and you have a use for it, and it's free, why would you not take it?

3. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    Even when you do store it it still has to be run once and awhile.

4. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'd say keep it, i mean, if its running well, why take nothing for it? it would be a good extra vehicle in case of emergency, or if you needed to haul something, a jeep can do that.

5. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Id say keep it. Especially if it has the 4.0 as it has just been broken in at this point.

6. allfiredup

Reputations:
    I actually drove it today instead of my Mazda3. I'm definitely keeping it....

The decisions of Chrysler execs defy logic, reason or anything resembling sound business practices...but they were insane to drop the 4.0L I6! The 3.7L V6 they "replaced" it with is less powerful, less reliable and, most likely, more expensive to manufacture...

Even with over 200k, it still pulls like it did when it was new...lots of torque! The one weak link in the powertrain has always been the 4-speed automatic that is the very definition of "slushbox"...and once it upshifts, it ain't downshifting unless you floor it, hold it down and wait for a bit. The O/D on/off button is just under the inistrument panel, so that has always been my workaround to go from 4th down to 3rd if I needed to pass or something!

7. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Dont sell it.

About 6 years ago we sold our 1995 Isuzu Rodeo for only $1,000 that was really dumb, we didnt want it anymore and we had way to many vehicles so no one was going to drive it.

That thing had like a $4500 value. We sold it to our neighbor who actually worked at a Honda dealer. He bought it then traded it in for a newer Honda it was a pretty lowball move but hey he bought it, so the moral of the story is we regretted it. Dont let them sell it you will keep asking yourself what if all the time....

8. allfiredup

Reputations:
    At first I didn't want to just take it and them not get a penny out of it because I'm hanging on to it. My mom got an '07 Explorer Eddie Bauer last year (15mos old) for Mother's Day- my dad paid for half of it....and I PAID FOR THE OTHER HALF!!! So I guess I'm entitled to the trade-in! =)

9. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Lol, so if you are taking it will you trade it in? If so then thats a great idea you can still get something out of it.

10. allfiredup

Reputations:
    Where does that whole "Cash For Clunkers" thing stand? The Grand Cherokee would qualify for it, avg 17mpg overall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.