should i go for this T400 ?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by lie495fc, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lineS of flight

lineS of flight Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Lenovo should keep the asymmetric design or at least allow it as a customization (though it would probably be very expensive).

2. lie495fc

lie495fc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    by asymmetric do you guys mean that the screen is little bit to the right instead of centered ?

i'm still new to laptop. can anyone point me to a post or a guide of how to install win7 but keep all the lenovo good stuffs. i really want win7 now after you guys brought this up. and also i want to get another 2gb ram, will it work with my existing lenovo ram?

3. lineS of flight

lineS of flight Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, this is precisely what we were referring to!~

4. lie495fc

lie495fc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    guys, i have problem. the charger that comes with T400 is making some kind whining noise when pluged in. is that normal, if not, is it covered under warranty?

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It probably is.

6. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    how loud is the noise? is it detectable when you are 2 m away from the adapter? if it is then you can get a new adapter from Lenovo (provided you are under warranty).

7. bsoft

bsoft Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One of my Lenovo adapters does this when they're plugged in and the machine is sleeping and charged (not pulling much current). The one that makes the whine was made by Astec (which was recently bought by Emerson) whereas my Delta-made adapter is completely silent.

In my experience Lenovo is happy to swap accessories if you have a problem, and they will cross-ship. I am currently on my third UltraBay Slim battery. They keep losing capacity fast thanks to Lenovo's poor battery management that always drains the UltraBay battery fully first.

By the way, good pick on the T400. My T400 is easily the best machine that I have ever used, by far. I loved my T61 but the T400 is better in practically every way.

Do upgrade the RAM. I would actually recommend 2x4GB DDR3 1333, which you can get for around $80 now. 4GB is fine for Windows 7 but why go short on RAM when it's so cheap. Even if you don't have programs that use lots of RAM you still get some benefit from disk cache, which can make a big difference if you don't have an SSD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.