should i go for this T400 ?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by lie495fc, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lie495fc

lie495fc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi guys. i got an offer of $460 for a used new t400 (replacement unit), warranty expires March 2013. should i go for it? here are the specs:
    T9600 (2.8ghz 6mb L3), 2GB ram, 160GB HD, ATI 3470, turbo ram, 1440x900 screen, 9cell battery, verizon broadband, bluetooth, web cam, Fingerprint Reader, security chip, win vista.

2. vēer

vēer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks tempting.
    What do you mean with used-new-replacement? Is it brand new and never used that came as replacement for someones broken T400? If so, you might snatch it.
    On the other hand, if its been used and is not brand new, then I would seek for bargains online for brand new or negotiate for even lower price :p

I got my R400 brand new sealed with same specs as yours except for no dedicated graphics card and T9400 instead of T9600 and no WWAN for $520 in september. Then again, perhaps old inventory has been sold out and there are no Tx00/X2xx left in stock.

3. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    $460 dollars is not too bad for a T400, given that you have the WXGA+ and ATI switchable graphics.

4. lie495fc

Reputations:
    it is a replacement unit and it is new. except the 9 cell battery looks beat up.

and yes WXGA+ screen looks nice compare to my m11x.

seller tells me there is turbo memory, what is that?

5. Nandarou

Nandarou Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  6. vēer

vēer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As far as I understand turbo memory in T400 is useless since users cant choose which processes to accelerate, Windows chooses it on its own and while I have Turbo memory in my R400 I feel no effects of it.

Version 2 supposedly adds user pinning which lets users to select what to accelerate, but T/R 400 dont have it if Im not mistaken.

But its nice to know, that your machine has basically everything it can hardware wise especially end of life laptop which is not built by Lenovo anymore ;)

7. lie495fc

Reputations:
    i see what turbo memory is now. SSD or ram upgrade would make more sense i guess. i looked on newegg and i couldn't find anything decent in $450 price range, especialy the screens on most of them are 1366x768 or less, such a deal breaker.

8. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    Intel does allow users to pin applications to run from the turbomemory, thus allowing selective acceleration of certain processes. But you are better off with SSD.

If you do get the machine, take the turbomemory out and sell it, and then use the money towards the ssd.

9. t61jaws

t61jaws Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    cheap as peanuts!! same price i paid for my t61 used..world wide warrant till nxt yr june 2011..prices in UK are always expensive.

10. vēer

vēer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If its brand new and doesnt have even the tiniest scratch from use then go for it, but perhaps see if you can get even better price :D?
    Either way - brand new - take it.
    Used - if youre not in a rush - then wait for better deals eventually.

PS. Version 1 turbo memory didnt allow users to allocate which process to boost, it was introduced in versoin 2.0, at least thats what I found when I was looking for ways to utilize it and came up with nothing for the one I had in my R400.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.