Should I get an Asus ROG G752VY or a Maxed Out Macbook Pro 2016

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ThePino, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePino

ThePino Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I'm planning on getting a new laptop and i've got to decide between these two. Please help me. Thanks!!! :D

1) What is your budget?
    I don't care about the price. I just don't want it to exceed around 2,700 dollars.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    United States

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Apple, Asus, Dell
    b. Dislike: MSI
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Engineering, 3d design, animations, video editing, A lot of music production, photorealistic renderings, photoshop and gaming.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes, I'm planning on playing. Grand Theft Auto V and Assassins Creed Syndicate and Black Flag. And other open world games.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    I don't care

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    It's fine. I don't care that much.
    11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Windows 10 or OS X. I want to install OS X and Windows on the one i'll get. Dual boot.

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes, but no that much

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Around December to March

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    At least 18 months

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    At least 1TB but maybe I can survive with less. I totally need a PCIe SSD.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    I don't need one but, it's ok.

The specs of both laptops are:

G752VY
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 6700HQ Processor
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 MHz SDRAM
    Display: 17.3" 16:9 IPS FHD (1920x1080) Hardware supported G-Sync
    GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M with 4GB GDDR5
    Storage: 1TB 7200RPM + 256GB SSD (PCIEG3x4)
    Optical Drive: Blu-ray RW

MBP 2016:
    CPU: 2.9 GHZ (Skylake processor)
    RAM: 16GB
    Display: 15.4" Retina Display
    GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 950M
    Storage: 500GB PCIe SSD (As I said I could get the 1TB model which it'll be a lot more expensive. But I can deal with it if it'll help me)

So please, help me decide. I love the design of the MBP and how sleek it is and the battery and everything. But I love the Capabilities of the G752VY. Help me decide. I don't care about how heavy it its. I just want the best for what I'm doing. I really like OS X so I'd like to have both Windows 10 and OS X El Capitan on both working perfectly. I wanna sell my music on iTunes that's why I want to have OS X. But I can survive with a Hackintosh no problem. So please help me decide. Thank you so much :D

2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Well, if you want the best for what you're doing, you need to make a decision on which tasks are more important to you: the CAD/3D design work or the gaming. The G752VY would be a decent choice for the gaming (or, for better bang-for-your-buck you should consider Clevo gaming machines), but for work stuff like that you'd be better off with workstation graphics (nVidia Quadro or AMD FirePro) since that'll have a much more noticeable effect on the performance of such applications than the equivalent gaming GPUs.

If you're fine with installing OSX on a Wintel machine (it works just fine in a virtual machine, from my experience), I don't see much of a point for the MBP, cost-wise. Just from a raw hardware perspective, the 950M doesn't come close to the 980M for gaming tasks, nevermind the issue of poor cooling design with the MBP if you're going to tax the hardware for longer periods of time.

Kent T likes this.
  3. LOUSYGREATWALLGM

LOUSYGREATWALLGM Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not sure if this violates any rule (mods please delete this if it does)

OP, I see your purchase date is between Dec 2015 - Mar 2016? Is the MBP 2016 coming out within the given date?

**Asking this because I'm on the same boat as you :)

4. Jambu95

Jambu95 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It's hard to find a workstation/gaming hybrid laptop, if i were you i'll ask myself, do i game more or render more? If it's somewhere in between either one should do, actually it's up to your preference, but based on your requirements, basically every spec is important, RAM, GPU, CPU, storage drive, screen size (preferable 17.3 inch for your needs if you don't mind the weight).
    I'm not sure about workstation laptops though, but, if you wanted to have a geforce gpu instead, I recommend the G752, (one of the best looking next to alienwares imo), the cooling is a monster, high end specs, good screen, decent upgrade-able slots.
    There's a review here : http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-G752VT-Notebook-Review.153805.0.html
    The only downside for it is the weight (4kg), battery life and difficult-to-access fans, hard to dust it out though.

5. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Apple is not recommended, as cooling is poor on MacBook Pros. The exception is if you are using OSX only software. For your desires, either a good workstation class option or gaming option would serve you better.

6. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am with kent all the way, I don't game at all but I edit video for broadcast and cinematic purposes as well as do color matching, and editing and large photo work as well.

can you game on a workstation . YES the GPU's will game on par with their consumer counterpart, are far far more reliable in pro work, BUT they are more expensive and drivers update slowly as they need to be certified. with the new M series quadro's and the new series fire pro cards out finally the gap is small except cost wise.

now a few tips. in todays pro software on the non gaming side:

1: RAM is good. and 16 GB wont cut it if you get into lots of layers, tracks and new ultra realistic 3D renderings etc. I can even choke 32GB frequently.

2: COOLING. big brick will run faster and less issues than those mini inferno's everyone obsesses over

3: no one thinks of the screen ACCURACY. higer end workstations especially the new precision models, some of HP's and even Lenovo P series have very accurate colors @ aRGB range. your rMBP tops out near sRGB or about 65% aRGB which is a heck of an asset if you plan to output to HDTV ( rec 701 ), broadcast work, or output to print. your top end HP workstations give you that but at 1.1 billion colors as well ( 30 bit )

service and support. well no brainer here, the ASUS will be depot service, the MacBook will be lots of trips into the genius idiots and driving and even depot if they cant deal with it. and no extras. the workstations can be up to 5 years on next business day, onsite warranty with accidental protection ( and ive used it ) any who think HP, Dell or Lenovo workstation support is like their consumer crap is sadly very very wrong.

now as a non gamer I may be a bit biased but I need tools that pay my bills and efficiently. but if its in budget why not go for the better build, support and abilities, upgradability?

as for OSX, run it in a VM. I can VM 10.9 faster on my old M6700 than I can run it natively on my 2015 rMBP

Kent T likes this.
  7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Ditto on Kent's post, as well as KCETech1's post.

To add, my Thinkpad W520 (an older workstation) can game just as well as any other laptop with a Sandy Bridge quad core CPU and a GeForce 555M GPU (closest thing to a Quadro 2000M). And from personal experience, the NBD service (at least from IBM, which handles Thinkpads, as well as HP's business-class service) is excellent. I'd had IBM come to my home to repaste my CPU/GPU (because back then I was too scared to do it myself) and earlier had the option for them to come to my college dorm to replace broken keyboards (I'm an idiot with a screwdriver), twice (though I opted to just get the keyboard from them). AS far as HP is concerned, we haven't had to have them come to our house, but their phone support is by far much better than any phone support I've ever dealt with on consumer-class laptops (even HP home!).

Compared to Asus (where I've had nothing but awful luck with) and Apple (where I'd have to drive pretty far to get to an Apple Store) and the differences are pretty clear imo, if only on a support basis.

Kent T likes this.
  8. Saveikis

Saveikis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think the naswer here is ibvious... Each single person would recommend you any other machine over Apple products, what comes to work and gaming.. The performance and your buck ratio is just insane what you pay with Apple. In your cases, just **** your eyes and go with the Asus model, even though, there are better companies than Asus, where their products are in a higher quality...

Unless you prefer OSx and the machines built quality... I would not find anything else to point out, that would have a benefit over a gaming or a working station laptop for your budget... Especialy, if you plan on gaming. FORGET APPLE at this point! :D

9. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    Why are you resurrecting a necro thread?

Jarhead likes this.
  10. Kana Chan

Kana Chan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Eurocom X9W has quadro gpus and so do the other P7 / P5 laptops

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.