Should I get a 1660 ti in a laptop or rtx 2060?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ghost79, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ghost79

Ghost79 Newbie

Reputations:
    There is reasonable price difference between them 2. Is the extra price worth it to choose the 2060?

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Depends on what exactly the price difference is. All other specs being equal, I think $150 or less between the two is worth picking up the 2060. If you're interested (and live in the US), I'm going to be putting my Lenovo Y545 with a GTX 1660 Ti up for sale shortly for a price that could potentially have quite a bit more space between it and whatever 2060-equipped notebook you're looking at. You can't send me a private message since you don't have 5 posts yet, but I can send you a message if you might like to know more.

Ghost79 likes this.
  3. Ghost79

Ghost79 Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I live in the Netherlands. Here the price is around €150-200 in price difference.

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You probably won't notice the difference between the two in most games, assuming they are both the full power (not Max-Q) versions.

The selling point for the RTX-class GPU is for 's ray tracing and Nvidia's DLSS technology. If the games you play (or are going to play) support them, then the RTX card becomes a lot more attractive.

Charles

Ghost79 likes this.
  5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The RTX 2060 isn't a robust enough GPU to handle ray tracing in a way that provides a meaningful improvement to visual quality without a huge loss in performance. That being said, without RT, the 2060 is still generally faster in most games. The difference would be most noticeable at lower frame rates.

Here's a great comparison video because, aside from the GPU, the systems are otherwise identical.

JRE84 and Ghost79 like this.
  6. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh truly convincing ray tracing is at least a good decade away. If the OP has specific games in mind then we should know as they may even benefit from a 1070 which has more cuda cores then either of these gpu's and can probably be gotten for alot less.

7. Ghost79

Ghost79 Newbie

Reputations:
    My prefenced games are the total war series and sand box shooters like Far Cry and stalker series etc

8. willhub

willhub Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My RTX 2070 MQ performs great, even BF V maxed with RTX on, it's a definite improvement over 1070 as well, and to my knowledge the Max Q 2070 is about on par with RTX 2060MP?