Should I cancel my Eluktronics Prometheus XVII order for an HP Omen 17?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Grump, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Grump

Grump Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm on the market for a 17 laptop. I've ordered the eluktronics prometheus XVII but a new HP Omen has come out that seems to have a better CPU and otherwise have the same specs but I haven't been able to find out many details about it. I was wondering if I should cancel my order.

Prometheus XVII Covert Gamer QHD 165Hz Gaming Laptop PC: Intel i7-10875H 8-Core NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 17.3" Calibrated Display Windows 10 Home 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD & 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
    1799 with a 200 4 year warranty

For this HP Omen
    tinyurl.com/ax3mskm5

Omen 17 Gaming Laptop, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Intel Core i7-11800H, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 17.3” Quad HD 165 Hz Display, Windows 10 Home, RGB Keyboard, Long Battery Life (17-ck0020nr, 2021
    for 1784 + 200 4 year warranty

My questions include
    what is the gpu wattage? maxq or maxp? cpu wattage? can you upgrade the ram? is the display port dgpu connected?how is the cooling? how many ssd slots are there?

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The laptop you ordered sounds like a good deal. When will it ship?
    Should you decide to cancel your order, note you may be waiting a while for a new model due to the chip shortage. Recent models I customized on HP's site stated a ship date 2-3 months away.

All I can point out about your current laptop is that it uses an older Core i7 chip, but it is still very powerful. The newer "Tiger Lake-H" chips like the Core i7-11800H are faster, especially for single-threaded scenarios, but also run hotter. Either chip is fine for gaming.

Your HP Omen questions will only be answered by a detailed review ...wait for one. See how badly its CPU throttles and if it can be salvaged by a thermal repaste.

Charles

3. Grump

Grump Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It will ship in a day or two. Now I've heard they are coming out with prometheus's with 5900hx ryzens and that these i7s were just holdovers. Decisions decisions.

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    $2k for a laptop with an 8-core CPU and a full-power RTX 3070 is a good deal. If the Omen 17 is like the 15, the GPU will max out at 100W. Also, the Eluktronics can be customized by the end user much more than the Omen in terms of the BIOS and control center software.

5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The 5900HX is a nice chip, but with the Ryzen 5000 chips are in short supply, I would see what Eluktronics quotes you for a ship date.

I doubt you will be disappointed with the Core i7-10875H.

Charles

6. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would stick with Eluktronics due to being more flexible when it comes to HW changes if you decide to change things up later.

Looking at the order page you get 2 drives / m2 & 2.5"

In general GPU = up to 200W depending on which you go with / CPU is typically up to 65W or 95W / RAM will max out at 64GB / DP usually is tied in directly to the motherboard so, depending on your settings it will use whichever GPU it is set for or needs based on the program.

There are other options out there if you need more drive options. I'm running one w/ dual M2 NVME and have a 2.5" slot open for another drive if need be.