1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Should i buy the gateway 6860 or save up fro the np5793

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Doodles, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doodles

Doodles Starving Student

Reputations:
    sounds like you havent even bought it yet if your askign about discounts. CALL around to the different resellers. I found PcMicroWorks was great ont he fone with making deals. XoticPC/sager/ and powernotebooks all also come highly recommended. CALL a PERSON before spending that kind of money and do your research. since the GPU is usually the bottleneck in gaming, and 8800 and 2.4 processor should be fine for anything. the ordering time depends on when and who you buy it from. i got mine in less than a week cuz i rele needed it and worked it out over the fone. And you shouldnt base buying your computer on just Age of Conan. Your spending alot of money on something your gonna be using for quite some time. who cares wen age of conan comes out.

2. Nirvana

Nirvana Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you order from xotic pc you should receive it within next week, they ship from California. Most people here went for 2.5Ghz , but I think 2.4 is bloody fast already. plus I will probably buy a x9000 when the price dropped.

3. Joe Martin

Joe Martin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I live in the east. I ordered from XoticPC late last Thursday night and I will receive it today (Friday) - basically 7 full days. Standard shipping.

Joe

4. dit_xi

dit_xi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    2.4GHz should do the job. Montevina is coming out very soon. By June, it's rumoured. If you can wait, wait. I'm personally just waiting for Clevo to offer one with an HDMI port.

5. Deathwinger

Deathwinger Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeh, I think 2.5Ghz and up should only be considered if you want to do some professional photoshop, video editing, 3dmodelling, etc.

I have friends who play COD4 at full with 1.8Ghz, hell, I'm currently playing it with a pentium 4 laptop (imagine my culture shock when I get a core duo). So the processor is definitely no huge issue when it comes to games. Think more the graphics card.

Hell, I think you will get more value if you were to just wait a month for the Montevina versions.

6. eleron911

eleron911 HighSpeedFreak

Reputations:
    The T9300 Penryn is the best choice at the moment in CPUs. I`d recommend that one.
    A 2.4 is enough also...

7. Prasad

Prasad NBR Reviewer 1337

Reputations:
    Agreed.. :)

8. Bo@LynboTech

Bo@LynboTech Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    my 2.5hgz 9300 was a great choice, loving the performance,
    you wont be disappointed, if you are ready to buy now then now is the time
    because waiting for the next big thing, just gets old :)

just know that you CAN play all current games on this machine and most of them at FULL settings :)

9. Prasad

Prasad NBR Reviewer 1337

Reputations:
    Actually... all of them at full settings :D Except Crysis with full settings but low resolution or almost full settings and medium resolution.

10. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you can easily do crysis in full settings at low resolution like 720p

i mean high settings, not very high.

11. eleron911

eleron911 HighSpeedFreak

Reputations:
    Hell even my 7950GTX handles Crysis at all high, 1024x640 at 20+ fps.
    So the 8800M GTX should handle crysis all high at 1280x800 at over 30fps.

12. The_Observer

The_Observer 9262 is the best:)

Reputations:
    I don't think u need a T9300.A T7xxx should do just fine IMHO unless you need to use CPU heavy things.

13. flynnaz

flynnaz I am a Night Elf Mohawk!

Reputations:
    The P-6080 fx has 4gb of ram instead of 3bg, and a bigger hard drive too. It also comes with 64bit vista, I would spend the extra $100.00, and play some games before you upgrade the cpu, it will probably handle anything you though at it.

14. cyclist14

cyclist14 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can run CPU intensive games like CoH vs. 3 AI's and there is no noticable performance hit, you gotta remember that even a t5550 totally slaughters a pentium 4 3.8 Ghz

15. crazyotterhound

crazyotterhound Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I too am considering investing in a 6860. I recently invested in an M1730 with dual 8800's and I'm half toying with the idea of selling my desktop system (with QX6700 and a single 8800GTX) as it's probably no better for gaming than my M1730. If I do this I will want to get another laptop for travelling with as the Dell is like a brick - the new laptop will need a decent graphics card for gaming. The gateway 6860 seems to fit the bill perfectly. I live in Ireland but will be heading over to the US shortly and will be my only opportunity to buy (my hotel is right next to Best Buy!) Somebody convince me it's worth it?

16. haix714

haix714 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am trying to figure out if i am going to regret not spending the extra money for a sager 5793 with a 8800gtx card...is the gateway all i need for games? or is is the np5793 that great that i should save up for that one.

A lot of people recommended the gateway 6860 because it is within my budget and i thought was awesome for the price... but the more i research the more i hear... "it can handle games but its average and by far an ultimate gaming notebook"...others are saying "save money and buy the np5793 with 8800gtx)...

and when i hear its average, it scares me... im afraid that "average" means that in a few months im going to need to buy a new notebook... lol

should i save up for the np5793 because it is that great? or is the gateway 6860 good enough?

your input is appreciated...

thanks

17. ArmageddonAsh

ArmageddonAsh Mangekyo Sharingan

Reputations:
    ive never heard of the 6860. what games do you plan to play on it? what are the specs of 6860? how much do you have to spend?

you should fill out the FAQ

18. The_Observer

The_Observer 9262 is the best:)

Reputations:
    Probably he means Gateway P6860FX.

P6860FX is the best bang for buck.But 5793 has better build quality,8800GTX vs 8800GTS and a choice of better CPU.

But in end it depends on your budget:)

19. haix714

haix714 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  20. haix714

haix714 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    rambo... the np5793 has the gtx and better cpu... but is it that great that i should save another 7 hundred for it? haha or is the gateway capable of it