Should I Buy a Motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by ZaZ, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
  2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I've got a helmet and pair of gloves. I think I'll probably just drive it around town for right now while get more comfortable coordinating everything. There's a closed school in town a few blocks from my house with a big empty parking lot where I can practice. When I'm ready to take it more serious, then I'll invest in some gear.

3. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I wouldn't get on it without gear. You already invested money into the bike, why invest more into medical bills. I don't even ride my mountain bike outside of my personal property without my gear on.

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Cause I want to see if I like it before I spend a lot of money on gear. I probably won't get much above 20MPH this year. It's a bit more of a risk, but one I'm willing to accept.

5. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bought my first Ninja, the baby 250 when I was 16, and "graduated" to the ZX-7 within 2 months. Eventually, I bought a ZX-7R, and road for years, until I met my wife, and she'd worry sick when I rode. I've ridden all over the eastern seaboard, logging quite a few thousand miles. I was young and crazy, and thought nothing of carving out an exit or on-ramp at 100+ mph, or winding it out on some desolate back roads with a couple of miles of vision ahead. I can honestly say, that the greatest danger came from the drivers of other vehicles, whether it was because of the gawk factor, or because they think you're in a car and have no problem climbing up your ***, or simply because many people with licenses just can't drive period. Just this week, I experienced two old guys who almost hit me. One of them because he decided it was his right to do 40 around the corner in a Starbucks parking lot, and the other because he either couldn't read, or didn't care about what the yield sign means. Point is, you're at a much greater risk on a bike, and now more than ever. Not trying to dissuade you, because if I didn't have a wife and kids I'd be out there myself I'm sure. It's just the nature of the beast.

6. peppergrass

peppergrass Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    there is no safer.. you can die either way

thing you have to ask yourself when you get on them is, am I ready to die

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.