Should i buy a gaming laptop now, or are there new GPU/CPU coming out in the next 6 months ?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by madmaxgamer, Aug 23, 2019.

1. madmaxgamer

madmaxgamer Newbie

Reputations:
    Im looking to get something in the 2500-3500$ range, gaming oriented, probably from Clevo... I need the laptop now, but if there are new GPUs for notebooks, or new CPUs coming out soon, i will wait. So is there coming out soon thats worth waiting for ?

2. MadResu

MadResu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's the price point that loses the most once new GPUs are out.

Expect it to cost half in 1.5 years

Get a 1500$ laptop now and upgrade it in 2 years with another 1500$ while selling original for 1000$

3. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you wait 6 months there almost always will be a new something. GPU updates happen every year or two at worst. Normally. Cpu's are maybe every year. Sometimes less. But the new cpu's are normally so minor the new one doesn't make a difference. For example the 9750h and 8750h on paper make it look like the new one is faster. In real world tests it's the same. More times than the not the 8750h is even better. So don't worry about new CPU's unless you are using it for work. Gaming I'd buy now and be happy.

Now the GPU is another story. 6 months is a long time in the tech world. And the current cards have been out for a year now. So 6 months from now we might have rumors of the 3000 series cards coming out.

I still feel you're safe to buy now. Nothing immediate is coming out that would make me pause on a purchase. But fill out the form so we know exactly what it is you're looking to buy.

4. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally if you need a gaming laptop now then buy it now. Even the new Intel 10th Gen CPUs are not worth the wait and the Nvidia released their RTX series GPUs earlier this year which are not huge improvements over their Pascal GPUs.

Encryptonite likes this.
  5. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's doubtful that new GPUs will come out in the next 6 months. The Ampere GPUs are supposed to come out in 2020, but it'll probably be late 2020. Nvidia just released its desktop RTX 20xx "Super" series a month ago. They haven't brought the Super series to notebooks, and it's unclear that they ever will--but even if they do, the difference between a regular RTX 20xx GPU and a Super RTX 20xx won't be huge.

As far as CPUs go, you could wait a month or two and buy a laptop with a new 10th-gen Intel CPU, as those are just starting to be rolled out now. But as noted by others already, the performance gains by the 10th-gen Intel CPUs will be minimal. For perspective, I just bought a new laptop with a 8th-gen Intel CPU with no qualms about its performance, and I still game on a 6th-gen Intel CPU without issue (although if buying new, I wouldn't recommend going back any further than 8th gen, and I'm not sure there are many/any new products on the market with older CPUs than 8th gen anyway).

tl;dr - it's probably not worth the wait for a new CPU or GPU. (Of course there's always a risk that we'll be surprised and something amazing will come out soon, but if we always held out in fear of that, we'd never buy anything ;))

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Encryptonite likes this.
  6. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You should also consider the "cost" of having a PC for gaming 6 months earlier.

What is gaming everyday for 6 months "worth" to you, and does it outweigh the possible losses you may take by reselling the laptop after a new generation comes out?

For me, I'd always rather game now. I'll take the hit later, or hold on to it longer if I can. But if it means I get to game now, that's worth a lot to me.

hmscott likes this.