Should I buy a 2-in-1

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by person135, Oct 9, 2020.

1. person135

person135 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not a typical what notebook should I buy, but I think my question still falls along similar lines. I'm mainly trying to figure out if folks use and recommend 2-in-1 as tablets, especially the lighter 13"-14" ones at around 2.9lbs - 3.3lbs. I understand that I won't be using these like I can with an Ipad, but would still like that optionality (see #6 below). I'd like to have a single device rather than a laptop + tablet since it's much more convenient for me. I'll try to fill out the form where it's most relevant.

1) Budget < $1500 USD
    2) 14" or less
    3) USA
    5) yes although not relevant
    6) Normal laptop usage 80% of the time. The rest in tablet mode I'll mostly be using it to watch youtube while in the kitchen and occasionally on the couch/in bed (holding it in one hand for maybe 10 minutes at a time). I will NOT be using it to take notes/draw. Just watching videos and using the interwebz but in tablet mode.
    8) Since this will be my primary computing device I will be playing games on it. But the games I play will run on even 4 year old integrated GPUs so graphics are not a concern.

Other specifics
    - For those who do have 2-in-1s, how do you protect your keyboard when flipped over? If you have it on the kitchen counter how do you prevent your keyboard from scratching or getting caught?
    - I'm basically looking at the most premium 2-in-1s that Dell, Lenovo, and HP are offering, although cheaper ones work as long as they're light.
    - I've used Win10 in tablet/touch mode before on other laptops and understand that it can be difficult to use because fingers can be too fat. Not too much of an issue but the Lenovo C940 does get extra points because of the garaged pen.
    - HP's Elite Dragonfly is a very intriguing option, but it's still stuck with Intel 8th gen which is a no deal for me.
    - Microsoft Surface Pros are also intriguing but I've heard the keyboard setup is terrible for using the computer as an actual tablet. Also lack of thunderbolt 3 ports, although the next iteration might change that. The keyboard issue is still an issue though.
    - Good QC and cooling are important to me. Both of my Dells and HPs have been great so far (and I've made sure to keep them in good conditions). Not sure about the newer generations. Back in early 2020 I seem to recall a lot of XPS 13 2-in-1 users complain about QC issues (battery swelling, poor thermals, poor WIFI).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If ya ain't using keyboard for most of the time, just get a tablet.
    However, if u're using keyboard most of the time for chitchatting, replying on emails, messaging on social medias... Get a flippable 2in1 chromebook shall fit ur requirements.
    Paying too much a premium price for 2in1 just for typical laptop experience is kinda... too ex to handle if one's budget is tight.

However, if u're a student whom may still need full fledge office experience, with 20% of other "relaxing" activities on ur leisure time... I would suggest that u go for typical laptops that cost much lesser than Windows based 2in1s.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Notebook makers have figured out how to create 2-in-1s that are barely thicker or heavier than their non-2-in-1 versions. If I were looking at a laptop that was offered both ways, I'd go the 2-in-1 route for that reason alone; the functionality is there if you need it.

2-in-1 convertibles should have rubber feet around the keyboard to prevent the keyboard from touching a surface. I find the "easel" mode on 2-in-1s convenient when watching a movie. It puts the screen closer to you, which is nice if you're laying down.

Have you seen the upcoming HP Spectre x360 14? https://www8.hp.com/us/en/laptops/2-in-1s/spectre-x360-14-convertible-laptop.html
    I think it will be available later this month. It offers a 3:2 3000x2000 display, which is great for tablet/convertible use. HP says it will start at $1,199. Personally I'd spend whatever extra they charge to get the OLED model.

Charles

4. person135

person135 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry should have mentioned that I need a file management system and will be playing some basic games, so chrome books won’t do.

What do you mean by typical laptops that cost much less? You’re still referring to 2in1s right?

Re: 14” Spectre x360 it looks appealing, but I’m still wondering about the weight of it for use in one hand. Also realized we don’t have a dedicated owners lounge thread for the refreshed spectrex360s

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have the Dell 13 5000 2 in 1 and I love it. So much so, I purchased a Dell touchscreen monitor to have the same functionality at my desk with a large screen. I would never own a traditional laptop again.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    I use a Go2 and my one and only. I dock it at work to a 23" display with full sized keyboard and mouse. Otherwise, I have a 10" tablet that can do anything a small notebook can do. I too, will never look back.

kojack likes this.
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am looking at the PRO X (second edition). I may go that route. The arm system intrigues me greatly. I have been talking to an owner and everything I want to do on it works. So, I may jump on the band wagon with that, and give my current laptop and Ipad to my son.

8. bluerazz

bluerazz Newbie

Reputations:
    Honestly if you are looking for something like a 2-1 but really are only going to use the tablet side for things like watching YouTube videos and not much else, but still need a good working computer, maybe look into the Microsoft Surface Pro line?

I use mine like a tablet with the detachable keyboard, but it is able to handle some serious work. It has gotten me through my last 2 years in CS at uni. And I am able to some games on my computer, but it does tend to overheat if I am stretching it's capability. You would also probably need to look into an external hard drive or Cloud storage since the Surfaces do not have remarkable hard drive space.

9. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry for the late reply... as i might hv overlook on ur response.
    What i mean was those "typical non-2 in 1" clamshell laptops that cost much lower than 2 in 1 with savings u can hv to either upgrade on ur RAM or Storage size, or even better, ur system configuration.

2 in 1s are still not so affordable with moderate specifications. In some markets, an i5 based system without dGPU could even break the 1000USD price point.

Personally, i wouldn't deny that i'll pickup a 2in1 laptop eventually... just as an portable "jotter book" that let me do my light ACad works as well as some office jobs. For entertainment, social messaging purpose, it'll be either a budget bigscreen ChromeBook or a "typical non-2in1" windows system to do the light tasks...

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I paid 579.99 canadian for my dell 2 in 1, add in 100 bucks for the 1tb SSD and another 90 bucks for the 16gb of ram. That's alot less than 1000 dollars, and the machine works great. I edit photos, create videos, build websites, create graphics for my clothing company, Design items for my woodworking shop and more. No, it's not the fastest machine out there, it does not game, but I am making money with it and it's not slow at all for my work.