Shootings at Virginia Tech

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by desert dweller, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollownail

hollownail Individual 11

Reputations:
    Okay, this guy on letterman said a greencard gives you 5 years (or some other set time) to become a true resident. Otherwise you're just a legal alien. He says you have to pass the citizenship test during the time you have your greencard to become a citizen.

2. ejl

ejl fudge

Reputations:
  3. easyeye

easyeye Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    exactly, I just passed my interview after 5 years of holding my greencard, on my way to become a citizen. I believe that natives can't even answer some of those questions lol.

4. ejl

ejl fudge

Reputations:
    i think immigration rules have changed since 9/11....my parents still have their green card. and i'm a little confused on your wording....legal alien = permanent resident. permanent resident doesn't = u.s. citizen. there really isn't a huge difference between being a permanent resident and being a u.s. citizen, though....

5. Sam

Sam Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It really is very disappointing and tragic...especially all the heroic stories that emerged from this incident, such as the old professor who took in bullets that were meant for his students...sighh.

Glad you're okay, vespoli. And I offer my condolences to the friends and families of the victims.

6. Jalf

Jalf Comrade Santa

Reputations:
    A nasty little thought I only realized earlier today:
    Vespoli is ok, that's great. But if anyone else from NBR aren't, we won't even know it... They obviously aren't going to post here and say "Damn, I got shot. Goodbye world"

I don't know why exactly (since it sounds pretty obvious when you say it), but that realization just chilled me... :(

7. vespoli

vespoli 402 NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Yeah :(

I have been crazy busy with our paper lately. I was up from 8 a.m. Monday morning and did not sleep until 3:30 a.m. today. It was...interesting.

Convocation was good, it was great to be able to see people reassuring us and sharing their sympathies:Kaine, Bush, especially Nikki Giovanni, and all the others who took the time to talk to us.

It has finally hit me. As I was copy editing the little obituary piece we are running today I realized just how many people have died. I was pretty shook up at that point, having been up for very close to 43 hours without sleep reading, writing, editing, and just helping out in anyway I could. IT comes and goes, sometimes I am chilled about the senseless deaths, other times it seems surreal to me. We went to the vigil on the Drillfield as a group yesterday and that was very, very important to me. The thousands of people there, the silence, the singing, the act of BEING together really helped me and I imagine it helped others.

Many of my friends have already left for home, classes are canceled at least until Monday. I will hopefully be getting out of here today sometime, I need to talk to my bosses down at the CT.

If anyone has questions I'd be happy to give them my best shot. Please treat this story with the seriousness it deserves. I have seen (little) criticism and poor taste but it has NO place right now, if ever.

I'd also advise people curious about the situation to check our website: http://collegemedia.com/

Right now not everything has been ported from print to web but it should be shortly. We generally have the most up-to-date information and other media outlets quote us and use our information when describing events.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  8. Angelic

Angelic Kickin' back :3

Reputations:
    My cousin goes to V.A Tech, his roomate was shot, luckily he got away in time :( :(. Such a mindless act of hate.

9. vespoli

vespoli 402 NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    :(

I feel for you. So far, no one I know has been been hurt, but people I know were eith affected or have friends who were affected this massacre.

10. zicky

zicky Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A college classmate is attending VT too for his masters. He was in the shootout but he didn't get shot, he escaped unhurt. I found out as I was talking with my boss about the incident and my MSN started beeping cause his message had arrived.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.