Settings/Easy Settings - what you need to know

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenguJeanie

KenguJeanie Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi.
    I haven't been using the easy settings lately, but a feature I liked was the wifi hotspot. Now it seems to have dissapeared?! It still says it should be there in the"help" menu, but not.

Anyone knows how to get it back??

Regards KJ

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I can see a Mobile AP control in my Easy Settings which, I think, is 2.0.0.38. Newer versions seem to have left out some features.

You can find Easy Settings in the Win 7 folder in any of the Windows 8 Settings packages.

John

3. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Finally got bluetooth working in W8.1 (and also showing up in settings) by using the driver from the AB9+. So with that and fast start squared away, I just need M$ to bring back the start menu and I'll be ready to move on from W7. I wanted to do a clean W8.1 install and did successfully do that with the generic key, but because they swapped out the motherboard for my warranty battery issue, it wouldn't take my W8 key to activate without a phone call. Oh well, I'll call another time.

Dannemand likes this.
  4. quevon24

quevon24 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, want to know if i can install settings on my samsung R480 with windows 8.1 because on samsung page there's only drivers and software for W7 and XP, and well the fn keys dont work. or what can i do to make the fn keys work?

5. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hey quevon24, welcome to NBR.

Although I am not very familiar with the R480, I would assume you have to use Samsung's SW Update utility to get drivers for it -- which is true for almost all Samsung models. They stopped posting drivers on their website two years ago.

Check the Sticky list on top of the Samsung forum. It has a download link to SW Update.

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can get SW Update from here.

However, I can't find the R480 listed anywhere so the next nearest is the R470. Settings is a generic program so a version listed for one Samsung notebook should work with another Samsung notebook. However, the most recent versions of Settings have dropped support for some features provided on notebooks released about 2 years ago.

John

7. quevon24

quevon24 Newbie

Reputations:
  8. Dannemand

Reputations:
    You generally don't want to use Easy Settings with Win8.x. It was designed for Win7 and can cause problems in Win8.x. I suggest you uninstall Easy Settings using Windows Programs and Features control panel (and Easy Display Manager if you installed that).

Next, you want to install Settings instead, which was designed for Win8.x. Even though your model doesn't have official Win8 drivers, you can use the Find Model feature in SW Update to look up drivers for other models. I recommend you try Settings version 2.0.0.72, which you will find under Win8.1 driver for model NP900X3F-K01US.

Newer Settings versions exist (the latest I've seen is 2.3.0.17). But as John mentioned, they lack certain features available on older Samsung models (such as ExpressCache and Battery Life Extender).

The above is true for most recent Samsung models, but again it could be different for yours. You can google site:notebookreview.com/samsung R480 to find previous discussions here about your model.

As for general Win8.1 driver support (graphics, audio etc) you depend on Microsoft since Samsung doesn't support Win8.x for your model. And that is not necessarily a bad thing. I recommend studying our Win8.1 thread for more on that. Read the opening post, then scan the last 10 pages or so for relevant posts.

9. quevon24

quevon24 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks to all of you for your help, i have installed settings 2.0.0.72 for w8.1 but the only available options are network where i can turn on/off the wifi and screen where i can change the monitor color but that's all, no fn keys or battery manager :/

And an apology for my english.

10. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Don't worry, your English is fine.

It would indeed seem that the R480 is not compatible with Settings, and you are limited to the old Easy Display Manager for Win7.

Even without Settings, Win8.x should give you some Fn-keys in itself (like volume controls); and screen brightness should be controllable through the slider in the Windows power tray icon. But keyboard backlight, Silent Mode etc require Settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.