Settings/Easy Settings - what you need to know

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sawko

sawko Newbie

Reputations:
    This may be off-topic but I have a problem that I really REALLY need a new key shortcut for brightness controlling. With the new glorious nvidia driver my samsung app struggles hard but cannot gradate the brightness level properly. I tried different versions.
    Can somebody help me? Can you help me, John? Thank you.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I wonder whether adaptive brightness is at work. See this thread.

John

3. silverham

silverham Newbie

Reputations:
    These latest versions seem to have bug on my XE700T1C-A02AU when running win 7. Not sure what the expected operation is(came pre-installed win8) but smartrotation.exe runs as a foreground app(is it supposed to seen when pressing ALT-TAB?) and puts a invisible window (or wall) in the middle of my my screen and when you click, it takes focus off the running app and does nothing. It's annoying when buttons come up and and clicking doesn't work.

Similar to:
    Mouse can't click in centre of screen - Windows
    where solution was uninstall but actually upgrade software:
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- FAQ Pro31Jm

Workaround was to restart the dwm.exe process or just plain kill the smart rotation, until i found another later version easy settings 2.0.0.63 found in NP915S3G-K03AU under win7. the app is still there in ALT-TAB but at least the it doesn't have window so to speak. However you can accidentally ALT-TAB to do it and then ALT-F4 close it accidentally as well. So i guess it should not seen in the the tab menu.

Various web searching proved this issue to be extremely rare for any software (or i'm not using the right search terms),

4. Catfilter

Catfilter Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello!

SW Update on my NP300 laptop with Windows 7 recommends to install settings 2.0.0.63 . I know, this program only for Windows 8. Can I allow this update?

5. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That's odd, if SW Update offers Settings while running Win7. I wonder if Samsung merged the two, so that Settings that works on both platforms.

If you're adventurous, you can go ahead and try it - though I would definitely uninstall the current Easy Settings first (an reboot).

I won't have opportunity to test this myself the next few days. But I'll be very interested to hear of any discoveries.

6. Catfilter

Catfilter Newbie

Reputations:
    Maybe, it works fine on Win7, but now I need my PC working fine, so I keep preinstalled easy settings version.

7. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The best thing is to export the package from SW Update and then look inside. I think you will find there are both win7 and Win8 folders. The installer (inst.exe) checks the operating system and then runs either the Win7 or the Win8 setup as appropriate (you can see the script with the instructions in inst.ini).

Out of curiosity I have just downloaded Easy Settings 2.0.0.72 listed for Windows 7 on the NP900X3F-K01UK. It contains both the Win 7 and Win 8 folders. I suspect that Samsung are now using the names "Easy Settings" or "Settings" interchangeably. (BTW, this version seems to have an ExpressCache tab).

John

Dannemand likes this.
  8. Catfilter

Catfilter Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you!

Of course, I downloaded this package and look inside. Subfolder "win 7" is empty.

9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Excellent, thank you John.

These recent updates to the 2.0.x branch of Settings (and Easy Settings) - parallel to the 2.2.x branch for the Haswell models - confirm that Samsung does indeed keep them on separate paths: As long as you're still on 2.0.x SW Update will offer newer 2.0.x versions; but once you install 2.2.x (or 2.1.x) it will offer the latest 2.2.x.

I think they meant for the 2.2.x branch to only be used with the newer models. And it couldn't be just the lack of BLE and ExpressCache tabs (which were stripped in 2.1.x and 2.2.x) those always only appeared on models with those hardware features anyway.

I wonder if 2.1/2.2 interact differently with the hardware. The use of BIOS calls in [Easy] Settings was always a mess - and possibly one of the reasons for Samsung's Win8.1 problems.

I'm just guessing, as always...

10. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Had a chance to test this out on my W8.1 image in between reimaging W7. It works! So that plus rapid start will make W8.1 almost optimal. Just need MS to hurry up on that start menu update they've got in the works. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the 7260's bluetooth working and SW update left its notification center after uninstalling it so I may need to start from scratch with a fresh W8.1 setup when I migrate. Anyway, more than you needed to know, but thanks a lot for testing it.

Dannemand likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.