Settings/Easy Settings - what you need to know

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The CPU, fan and RAM are managed at the BIOS level although Settings will install the Samsung power plans.

The Settings installer includes much that isn't relevant to any individual model.

I suggest you try Easy Settings V2 with your current Windows 7 installation and see what happens (if you are worried then first do a Windows Restore point. Unlike Easy Settings V1, Easy Settings V2 has the same basic core as Settings V2.

John

2. sawko

sawko Newbie

Reputations:
    It worked. Easy Settings on my old laptop with Win7, almost all Fn keys react correctly. Except it doesn't control Wifi module and it installed some microsoft virtual wifi miniport device. I can only turn Wifi on/off by BIOS. Maybe a newer version of Settings could do it? It opens configuration tab on a Fn+f9(wifi) press though. Also Speedup key doesn't toggle power plans like it used to but Silent Mode on/off.

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That is normal behavior for Easy Settings: On most models Fn-F9 will take you to the wireless tab in the control center (where you should be able to toggle wifi), and Fn-F11 toggles Silent Mode. I realize that could be different from how individual modules worked on previous models.

4. jamesg

jamesg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a problem with the Settings app on my Ativ Book 9 Plus.

On my original Win 8 factory image, Settings ran fine. I updated all my drivers with Windows Update and SW Update, then found that when I run Settings, it no longer displays the user interface - although the icon appears on the task bar. If I hover over the task bar icon, I can see it's only rendered a white square. I don't have another monitor connected, so it's not that the UI is on another screen. It looks like Settings is incompatible with one of the installed drivers and has got stuck.

I've since reinstalled from scratch with Win 8.1 Pro and have exactly the same problem - Settings worked initially, then fails to open after completing all updates.

I've got the latest Settings app (2.2.0.5) and have tried running in Win 8 compatibility mode, which made no difference. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Settings too.

Any ideas?

5. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I would try using a different version of Settings. You can find a selection using the Find Model facility in SW Update. It's a generic program so you don't need to use whatever is listed for your notebook.

John

6. jamesg

Reputations:
    John, thanks for the suggestion. I just found a later version (2.2.0.7) listed under a different model. This had exactly the same problem, but... I just managed to find the solution.

My taskbar was docked at the right edge of the screen. I tried docking it back to the bottom and the Settings window sprung into view! Upon experimenting, I can see that Settings is visible when the task bar is in any position *except* the right edge.

So thanks Samsung for not testing your software properly :p

7. Shrink

Shrink Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Under which model did you find 2.2.0.7? Thanks,

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

8. jamesg

Reputations:
    np900x3g-k01uk

Shrink likes this.
  9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Wow, that's almost like an easter egg. Good catch! And thank you for sharing about Settings 2.2.0.7 being out.

Do note that, even though Settings is generic and can be installed on all models, some older versions of Settings contain features no longer found in later versions. Specifically, version 2.0.0.55 still contains Battery Life Extender and ExpressCache (for models which have those features) while the newer 2.1.x and 2.2.x versions do NOT contain those. You can still use BLE and EC, but without tabs in Settings to control them.

Another observation is that SW Update apparently has multiple tracks of Settings versions: If you have version 2.0.0.55 installed, SW Update may not offer any updates. But if you install version 2.1.x, SW Update will start offering newer 2.2.x versions. At least that's what happens on my older NP700Z3A.

Another note (just because I've seen it mentioned recently): As described in the opening post of this thread, Win7 users do NOT need to use the old trick of downloading Settings (from the Win8 list) then pulling Easy Settings 2.x from that package. If you lookup NP880Z5E-X03CA (or other late 2013 model with Win7 support) SW Update has the latest Easy Settings 2.0.0.48 listed directly under Win7 drivers.

10. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    That's useful to know. fortunately, my Task Bar is on the left side.

Perhaps they assume that the right side of the screen is reserved for the Charms bar.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.