Settings/Easy Settings - what you need to know

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, both. But maybe fast start is working, just not with rapid start. I have the rapid start timer set to 3 minutes. If I close the lid and open before 3 minutes it wakes up but after 3 minutes I have to press the power button, I think. Has anyone ever gotten rapid start working with lid open on Windows 8.1? Am I correct in assuming that fast start does not work with windows hibernation, only sleep?

Bluetooth does have a toggle in settings 2.2.0.5 and it sees my mouse, it just won't install correctly. I probably need to add the intel driver, but it's all moot if I don't have wake on lid open from completely powered down and I will retreat to W7 where it sort of works. Sorry, this discussion has strayed from this thread, it's ok to move it. Thanks for your help.

2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I have never seen my Sammy resume from hibernation by opening the lid -- not even with Fast Start enabled. From Sleep, yes of course, but hibernation is a full power off. Maybe Intel Rapid Start somehow makes that happen (I don't have that). If so, there must be some competition between IRSTR and Samsung Fast Start ([Easy] Settings) about who controls the Open-Lid event.

As you hopefully found, I DID move the discussion. And I think I was the one who led it away from the WiFi topic of the original thread :eek:

3. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the help. My guess would be Settings 2 does not make an allowance for rapid start as Easy Settings did. I suppose I could try easy settings on W8.1, but I'd probably be left with the same bluetooth issue, if it even worked. I asked over in the IRST thread, maybe someone has found a way.

4. Dannemand

Reputations:
    I would NOT advise installing Easy Settings on Win8. It's hacky enough for Win7 (for which it was "designed" - quotation deliberate, as in "giant laser" ) and can cause actual mess on Win8. Although some have done it...

5. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah I'll stick with W7 for now. It looks like fast start is not working at all on W8.1. It may be because I did not install with uefi, so settings 2 is not fully compatible.

6. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Got it. It's ironic that I would prefer NOT to have Fast Start (so that the Power LED blinks slowly during sleep, and I have to deliberately push the power button to wake it up). But on Win8 with Settings 2.0.0.55 (which is my preferred combo for performance, stability and feature support) there is no way to disable Fast Start; the feature is hard coded into Settings.

Just goes to show how complaints such as "why doesn't this stupid Samsung laptop wake up when I open the lid?" and "why DOES this stupid Samsung laptop wake up just because I open the lid?" are both moot, because we all have different preferences :rolleyes:

I think we've covered that discussion. Thank you for your tests and input.

7. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The disadvantage of having IRST working and the computer waking up on lid open is that it bypasses any BIOS password.

John

8. sawko

sawko Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, can anyone help me? I have an old samsung notebook from year 2010, model R528. I'm going to add 2gb of RAM and would like to install Windows 8.1 64bit. SW Update doesn't have my model in any list. Product webpage has only Samsung Display Manager to download. So my thinking is - can the Settings handle my notebook at all?

9. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What is the full model number?

Samsung's website has numerous downloads for NP-R528-DA01IN. Make sure you have a full set of Windows 7 drivers / software backed up before you change anything.

However, that list does not include Easy Settings but has various other Easy packages which Easy Settings (superseded by Settings) combined into one.

I would suggest you get Easy Settings version 2 which is inside the Settings V 2.0.0.38 package (SW Update > Find Model > United Kingdom >Series 9 > NP900X4C-A02UK > Windows 8) and see if that works with your Windows 7. The key functionality is the Fn keys. If it does work then there is a good chance that Settings V2 for Windows 8 will also work.

Any Windows 8.1 installation is done at your own risk so make sure you have everything backed up in case you need to reinstall Windows 7.

John

10. sawko

sawko Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you, John.

Full model number is np-r528-ds04ua.
    Does Settings control cpu clocks, fan speed, ram clocks, so on? So could it possibly handle them wrong because the application designed for newer hardware? 180MB installator looks scary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.