Settings/Easy Settings - what you need to know

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sne

sne Newbie

Reputations:
    Samsung Model SB900X4B-A02US with Windows 8.1 keyboard backlighting now working using v2.0.0.55 of Settings for Win8 offered under model NP880Z5E-X03CA , Keyboard backlighting did NOT work with newer Settings version 2.1.0.20. Thank you Thank you Thank you

Dannemand likes this.
  2. tomraider

tomraider Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry about the thread hijacking from me... it was the only reference to someone else with this problem I could find when I searched.

I think I found the reason for this and a workaround, in that I am using Windows 8.1 Preview and it probably started from then... anyway it's working fine for me now by running it in Windows 8 compatibility mode. (Right click SW Update from Start, open location, right click it and Troubleshoot Compatibility).

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    No worries, I meant it jokingly. But it is telling that you were the second member who posted about SW Update. I don't have a covering that here.

And thanks for confirming about SW UPdate having to run in compatibility mode under Win 8.1. Member lunkan found the same, as described in the thread linked below.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...updates-need-search-my-modell-every-time.html

Clearly we'll have to update many guides now with 8.1 coming out -- also because the Charms menu is completely restructured.

4. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Note: this discussion is continued from here.

Good job getting that working. Samsung software makes us creative, if nothing else :D

Resuming from sleep on Lid Open is so intuitive, many users assume it's standard Windows behavior, to the point they think something is broken when it doesn't work -- when in fact (and as you point out) it's an add-on feature (Samsung Fast Start) delivered with Easy Settings (Win7) and Settings (Win8).

It's been so long, I couldn't remember what the different modules in Easy Settings are (had to Google this post to remember). Unfortunately Fast Start isn't one of the modules being loaded as Scheduled Tasks. But since you find Fast Start working after enabling it in the Control Center (until next reboot) it may be part of the loading of SmartSetting (one of those Scheduled Tasks).

You may have to fully install Easy Settings 1.x in order to see the EXE file name and parameters used in the Scheduled Task for SmartSetting -- then uninstall the entire thing again (keeping a copy of the program files) and try sideloading both EasyDisplayMgr (dmhkcore, for your Fn-keys) and SmartSetting (whatever the EXE, for Fast Start). Shortcuts in Startup is fine, just make sure to keep the same parameters Easy Setting had in its scheduled Tasks.

My only concern with this approach is whether loading SmartSetting (in order to activate Fast Start) will also kill your Bluetooth again. But you'll find that out soon enough :rolleyes:

And you're right, unfortunately these tricks only work in Easy Settings 1.x. Version 2.x really is better behaved in general, with everything loading through a service instead of Scheduled Tasks -- but it means we can no longer select which modules to load (until someone figures out how to tweak its CmdServer module). Member mmortal3 has dug deeper than most into Easy Settings, and posted some of findings in the latencies thread.

go45cvi likes this.
  5. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep, unfortunately that's exactly what it does. Oh well, this is workable. I can just toggle on the lid action every restart or press the button if I forget. No big deal, I only need bluetooth for my mouse to watch movies when I'm on the road anyway. So to summarize, the 7260 can be installed on the S9 and gives better wifi performance IMO. However, you will either lose bluetooth or persistant wake on lid open functionality.

Dannemand likes this.
  6. Dannemand

Reputations:
    LOL :D

It was worth a shot, though (easy for me to say, since you did all the work :rolleyes: )

And thank you for posting your results with the 7260.

You may find this to be different in Win8, where toggling Bluetooth only works when Samsung's own Bluetooth driver package is installed -- which then causes toggles to show up both in Samsung Settings and in Win8's Charms-Settings-Change PC settings-Wireless. If that Bluetooth package is NOT installed, Samsung Settings doesn't touch Bluetooth at all. So it's possible you could have both working Bluetooth and Fast Start (which is hard coded in Samsung Settings) and all the other Settings features in Win8. No guarantees, of course...

7. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Interesting, I may have to try that. I did get 8.1 installed, but rolled back after I couldn't figure out the lid action there, I must've missed it in settings. I guess if it all worked it would be worth the trouble of migrating my software licenses. W8.1 has been going good on my HTPC (fingers crossed).

8. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Settings (Win8) just implements Fast Start with no option to disable it. One exception was Settings 2.1.0.20 (if I remember correctly) which lost Fast Start (maybe it was just on my NP700Z3A). But it worked again in Settings 2.2.0.5. I ended up reverting to Settings 2.0.0.55 which I found to be the best fit for my model.

I actually prefer to have Fast Start disabled: The power LED blinks slowly to let me know the computer is asleep (not powered off) and it doesn't wake up before I decide to press the power button.

9. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It doesn't seem to be working in 2.2.0.5 on W8.1 for me. There is no trick to getting it working?

10. Dannemand

Reputations:
    You mean Fast Start isn't working at all? Or that the Bluetooth thing isn't working?

For Win8, I would say try an earlier Settings, such as 2.0.0.55. But for 8.1, Settings versions earlier than 2.1 have problems (they don't work, actually).

Even though I managed to install 8.1 on my test partition and get everything working, I still use Win8 as my daily driver. 8.1 seems to work harder in the background and burn through my battery faster, and Settings 2.0.0.55 supports more features on my model than the later ones.

BTW, I am considering moving this discussion, including the recent posts about [Easy] Settings, Fast Start, sideloading etc, to the thread linked below instead.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/729139-settings-easy-settings-what-you-need-know.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.