Setting up remote access point

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by QuantumPSI, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuantumPSI

QuantumPSI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, so I decided to finally work on this. I have a NP9262 and Inspiron 9300. Needless to say, my 9262 is my main machine. What I want to do with the 9300 is turn it into a remote access point for file sharing and such. I have a 750GB external I'm going to keep connected to it all the time. So just how do I do this? I've never done anything like this and don't even know what to search for. Oh and one more thing, I want to set it up such that the 9300 can share files with my 9262 as well as my PS3 (I think windows media player will do this, but I want something that will transfer information quickly instead of stream (don't want to try to stream HD, don't think the 9300 could keep up with the bit rate)). I'd like some direction on this. Thanks in advance.

Oh more important piece of info. I guess, I have a D-link 825 router. The PS3 is connected to the router via ethernet and the 9300 and 9262 use G and N respectively. I plan on getting another ethernet cable to go between the 9300 and the router.

2. blue68f100

blue68f100 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can simply setup a Adhoc network between the pieces. This way each device will work independently. Or simply setup file sharing on the 9300 for the other pc to access.

3. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    What operating system?

1) Make sure they are all in the same network and workgroup

2) Enable file sharing and start sharing the folders in your external drive

3) You should be able to see the computers and shared folders in "My Network"

4) Or you can map the network drive to My computer for easier access

4. QuantumPSI

Reputations:
    Inspiron - XP
    9262 - XP and Vista

I tried setting up an ad hoc before and was unsuccessful (I don't think I know what I'm doing). Could you please give me some more details?

5. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Dont bother with AD-hoc, you might aswell use your router.

Ill assume both notebooks have connectivity to your router already meaning they are in the same network.

You will need to check both notebooks are in the same workgroup first.
    -Start
    -Right-click My Computer
    -Go to the Computer Name tab
    -Rename your workgroup to your choice or leave as default "WORKGROUP"

Aslong as both notebooks are in the same workgroup.

You then need to check My Network Places if the other notebook shows up.

6. QuantumPSI

Reputations:
    Ok, both are set to WORKGROUP and connected to my router, unfortunately, neither laptop sees the other. Where do I go from here?

7. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Hmm.. can you try pinging the notebooks with one another?

8. QuantumPSI

Reputations:
    ok, you're speaking a foreign language to me... I'm sorry, but I don't have much experience when it comes to networking and communications with computers.

9. Reezin14

Reezin14 Crimson Mantle Commander

Reputations:
    Try using the network wizard to connect both with the same settings(save it via a usb drive),and make sure that you have accounts setup on both/all computers(username & password) and make sure that the files you want to share are in fact shared.

10. makaveli72

makaveli72 Eat.My.Shorts

Reputations:
    You'll need to Share the external HDD on the Dell machine and give it the correct Sharing and Security permissions. (Such as Everyone Full Control if you're the only one connected to the network and stiff security isn't needed) Also, try creating a folder on the Dell machine and Share it....even if you're not going to use it.

If you can't see the Dell machine from the 9262 then this means either File and Printer Sharing isn't enabled or a Firewall is blocking this service.

When you've shared the HDD you should be able to connect to it by just doing a simple My Network Places browse for computers in the same Workgroup.

* You may want to create an identical user account that's on the 9262 on the Dell machine...but you might not have too.

BTW, What Operating Systems are the machines running?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.