Setting Up Google Chromebook Questions

Discussion in 'Chrome OS and Software' started by Drew1, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone can tell me how to enable flash on chromebook? Its somewhere in the chrome settings right? I saw option to turn it on and i think i did it but still same errors.

2. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's under "content settings", so go into settings and at the top search for flash. Then scroll down and click on content settings. From there you can turn on flash fully or specify by website.

also of note: you can check your flash version and check for any flash updates by going to chrome://components and scrolling down to flash.

If your still getting warnings your flash isn't up to date and they want you to click on a link or download something its probably malware.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi there when you mean turn on, you mean move the thing to the right or so? Because it doesn't say exactly its on.

It keeps saying update to flash 10.1. So where do i download 10.1 and how do i know if i have up to date flash?

Well if i click on link and its malware, well its a chromebook and still okay or would i have to format it?

4. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok I see what your saying. Even though that toggle is showing as Off (meaning flash should run), flash has been blocked by default in Chrome (browser) since around version 59 (mid 2017).

Try going to the website you want and clicking on the secure/not secure in the url bar and turning Flash on from there.

flash.png

hmscott likes this.
  5. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1. You can't download and install flash on Chrome OS; Flash is built into Chrome browser.

2. To know if you have the latest version of flash, go to chrome://components/ and scroll down to "Adobe Flash Player" and click "check for update". You can also visit this site to see what the latest flash version is for all platforms.

Well if i click on link and its malware, well its a chromebook and still okay or would i have to format it?
    You would be ok. The only thing it could do would be to possibly install some browser extension, or show you a fake "you've been infected with some virus" webpage or popup. You can see what browser extensions you have installed here: chrome://extensions/

hmscott likes this.
  6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hi there does that mean certain websites won't work then?

another thing. I let someone use my chromebook to test things out and now the wallpaper or background of it changed to something very different. Its like rock and water etc. Can someone tell me how to fix this or what was the previous wallpaper?

hmscott likes this.
  7. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hi there does that mean certain websites won't work then?

I'm not sure what you mean but chrome (browser) blocks all flash from running due to its abuse for malware, etc. It's just a safety thing. If your on a site and you want to allow flash, follow my directions above.

Can someone tell me how to fix this or what was the previous wallpaper?

To change wallpaper either right click on the desktop and choose "change wallpaper" or download a picture to the downloads folder and when you open it or right click on it, you can set it as wallapaper. Pretty much exactly the same as on a windows pc.
    If someone wants to use your chromebook, logout and make them use guest mode.

Note: to right click on a chromebook you have to do a 2-finger tap on the trackpad.
    1 finger = left click
    2 fingers = right click / 2 finger drag = scroll up / down on a website.
    3 fingers tap on a link opens it in a new tab.

Also don't forget you can open the search key (located where caps-lock used to be) and there is a help app to answer FAQs. You can also see all keyboard shortcuts by pressing Ctrl + Alt + ?

Hope you are enjoying your new chromebook.

8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi there thanks for that information. Wanted to ask another thing.

Do you guys set vpn up with chromebook and is it easy to do so? I want to use chromebook with vpn.

9. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hi there thanks for that information. Another question i have. I downloaded some files and some i could open it and view the files such as videos and pictures. Some i cannot, thus when i open the file, it doesn't show anything. It shows the file such as the name and .rar. So how to i extract these files? Or maybe these files are corrupted and doesn't work? Because i don't think that is the case? Because when i click on it, it plays but plays nothing...

Because i assume if there were issues, the other files would have issues? I downloaded rar from play store. But why can i not open many files i downloaded?