Series 9 Owners: Third party mSATA upgrades

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks for the heads-up. I'll do a backup before trying it.

***Update*** The firmware upgrade went smoothly although it was disconcerting to load of DOS-type text appear on the screen along with various prompts (which should be ignored - leave the updater to work through the process and then reboot).

John

2. buffpatel

buffpatel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I just received my 900X3C today and am looking forward to the computer. I plan on upgrading the drive to the Crucial M4 mSATA and had a quick question. Rather than doing the whole acronis image and copying my original drive to the new one, would it be easier to just install windows from scratch (off a bootable USB drive) and install the drivers/software from the Samsung website? Would there be any issues? I saw a few posts about needing a special partition made for the Intel rapid start to work - does anyone know if I need to make that partition first before installing windows? Thanks in advance!

3. boykster

boykster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just installed my Crucial M4 this evening, and I have to say it is super fast - pretty incredible because i was already impressed with the boot / sleep restore times with the sandisk ssd. My previous laptop had an SSD in it as well, so that alone was impressive.

I went with the Acronis clone / resize route. I tried macrim reflect, but due to how the partitions were laid out, I couldn't get the main partition to resize - the free space was at the end of the drive and the c: drive was in the 'middle'. Nice tool though - will definitely keep it in my toolbox.

Drive swap was super easy - anyone with the correct screwdriver should be able to swing it.

4. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    A clean install is feasible, especially if you don't want the recovery partition. Windows installation will be easier if you first use Samsung Recovery Solution to make a backup of the drivers and software. After installing Windows you then run this and it will load Easy Software Manager to lead you through all the things to be installed. Getting Intel Rapid Start Technology working is discussed in this thread.

John

5. cavell219

cavell219 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I ave been trying to find an answer for this question for a little while now and have received conflicting answers from different websites. Does NP900X3a use just a MSATA(MSSD) drive as the main hard drive? Or does it have an actual 2.5in SSD? I am receiving one in a few days to repair and it comes without hard drive and I want to make sure I have one to test with.

Thank you.

6. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    The X3A does not contain a normal HDD. A search through the X3A thread reveals this part number for the SSD. And a search for that part confirms it is mSATA.

John

7. cavell219

cavell219 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ah the othr version name of the series 9, didn't think to look there.

Thank you very much for the reply.

8. buffpatel

buffpatel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm planning on upgrading my Series 9 with the 256GB SSD drive and am planning for a clean install on the new hard drive. I was originally going to do a windwos 7 clean install, but now I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can just clean install windows 8 (using my $14 upgrade download). I've seen websites where people talk about doing clean install using the retail $40 version, but I would like to use the $14 download to install. Is this possible, or should I just install a minimal windows 7 first and then run the upgrade program (it just seems like a waste of time and also waste of my SSD drive to do that extra step). Thanks.

9. pr4424

pr4424 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can do a fresh install with the $14 upgrade. I did a clean install with mine and it worked fine.

10. belzebutt

belzebutt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The upgrade utility says you have to *order* the $15 upgrade from the machine you want to install on. Is that really required? Once you order, what form does the install come in, do you just get an ISO+key?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.