Series 9 Owners: Third party mSATA upgrades

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Are you actually going to use the Recovery Partition for storing backups? If not, squeeze it down to the smallest possible size (controlled by whatever is already in the partition). Acronis True Image makes it easy to put your backups onto an external device, which is my own preference. Many of us have deleted the recovery partition after making a backup image.

John

2. niallom

niallom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I plan to use Acronis Backup & Recovery for backups, so I'll squeeze it down as you suggest. Thanks.

3. drummo

drummo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I began following this thread some time ago, bought a 256gb mSata SSD to repalce the 128gb in my 13" SS 9 (NP-900X3C-A01AU) then got too busy to install it!
    I have now fitted the new SSD and tried to do a clean install. After FINALLY managing to boot into the Samsung "System Recovery Media" CD and install Windows I discovered that none of the needed drivers, such as WLan etc had been installed.
    It seems that the Samsung disk only contains the basic install of Windows and none of the other drivers, and utilities that were previously on the SS 9.
    I apologize if this question has been asked before, but do I need to download all the drivers and utilities from Samsung or am I being thick and they are tucked away somewhere on the Samsung recovery DVD (where I logically expected to find them)?
    If they are not on the DVD and have to be downloaded is there any particular order in which they need to be installed??
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

4. drummo

drummo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, I was being thick. Re-installed the old SSD and created the required recovery DVD with drivers etc then loaded them onto the new SSD.

5. Kimmi1

Kimmi1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Im sorry but I dont understand this.

Im using so much force its crazy.

Attached Files:

6. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    It's the lower seam. Lifting the front edge of the base (when upside down and unscrewed will help the back seam to unclip.

John

7. Kimmi1

Kimmi1 Newbie

Reputations:
    English is not my native language, so there are alot of terms I dont understand. A video would help alot.

I got it open, and I understand now how I should have opend it.

After some glue and tape, my SS9 is as good as new :thumbsup:

8. Scuirus

Scuirus Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, especially to John, but also to all the others which have contributed, this thread has been very useful.

I've now updated my 900X3C to 256GB Crucial M4. Used the mSATA to 2.5" SATA adapter linked below to place the M4 into a standard USB disc enclosure for the cloning. The shipping is free and it arrived in less than a week.

Mini PCIe PCI E mSATA 3x5cm SSD to 2 5 inch SATA Adapter Cnverter Card PA6006 | eBay

Used the free Macrium Reflect and bought Acronis Disc Director Home as described in this thread to clone, delete, move and extend the partitions. I kept the hibernate partition, but deleted the recovery since U100 of course can be used for a new cloning if needed in the future.

Removing the bottom cover was much more easy than what I've had expected from reading this thread. It was jut to wiggle it a bit back and forth while lifting in the front, and it came loose. I was lucky finding an unused Philips 0 screwdriver in my toolbox, a good screwdriver is needed especially for the two screws in the front corners. When reassembling the cover just make sure it's clicked back into correct position at the back end before start screwing.|

9. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback. :)

The way that the back edge unclips with a ripping noise is a little disconcerting.

John

10. BenSanford

BenSanford Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Crucial released a firmware update to their M4 SSD's, that can be downloaded from their support site. The email I received from them was as follows:

Crucial SSDs are designed to support periodic firmware upgrades that provide enhancements to optimize how our drives perform. We're happy to announce that the latest firmware upgrade is now available for your Crucial m4, Adrenaline, or mSATA SSD on our SSD support page. This is an optional firmware update, but by upgrading you'll benefit from the following improvements:
    • Faster boot up – we improved the time between when you press the power button on your computer and when the drive is ready to accept commands
    • Faster TRIM – we improved how our drives clean up files to make them more efficient
    • Better power management – we improved some power consumption elements so that our drives can draw less power
    At Crucial.com, we're proud to deliver first-rate support to our SSD customers and that includes firsthand upgrade news. While you're on Crucial.com downloading the latest firmware, why not see if you can further improve your system's performance with a DRAM upgrade? Our innovative Crucial System Scanner accurat
    ely identifies the memory in your system and provides a list of guaranteed-compatible upgrades. Just another great service we can offer – thank you for being a valued customer!
    -The team at Crucial.com

There are apparently some issues with this upgrade, because there are a lot of problems reported on the Crucial forums - But it might be installation errors by some users. There is a different version of the upgrade for the mSATA drives, and for the other M4 drives. Also their upgrade software apparently does not work on systems with UFEI Bios.

I installed the upgrade on my Crucial M4 mSATA drives in my 900X3C with no problems, using the windows based installation procedure and it worked fine. I haven't tried any benchmarks to test for any changes in performance, but it appears to be working fine with the updated firmware.

Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.