Series 9 Accessories

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I don't like travelling without a spare PSU (I was once left with a unusable notebook for a couple of months because the PSU went pop) so I've been shopping around for a spare PSU. The Series 9 PSU has a very small plug so none of the standard PSUs fit.

After a little research I decided to order this PSU. It has arrived and I can confirm that it fits and works.

The PSU has a plug size of 3 x 1.1mm (outside diameter x inside diameter).

One noteable feature is that it is significantly smaller and lighter (120 grams) than the supplied Samsung "slim" 40W PSU (188 grams), (both without the AC cable. However, the DC cable of the compatible PSU is shorter (about 1.15m) than Samsung's (1.80m).

That difference in the PSU weight and size is not significant if one carries around the standard heavy duty 3-core mains cable so I also carry around one of these adaptors which lets me use a thinner mains cable with the "Fig-8" plug. It means that I forego any grounding, but that hasn't previously caused me any problems.

John

2. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    In the quest for the ideal sleeve for the 13" series 9, I have bought two. Neither is ideal but each complements the other.

First to arrive was the SumacLife sleeve from Amazon.co.uk. The fit is good and it provides excellent protection although it is quite bulky. There is a side pocket although it is a struggle to get anything more than about 1cm thick into it.

Then came the Fencer sleeve (recommended by another member). The description said "yellow" but it's tan leather with a couple of small magnets to hold the flap closed. The S9 is slightly loose inside. It's much less thick than the SumacLife sleeve but provides much less impact protection.

Which to use depends on what bag it is going into.

John

3. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    One of the annoyances with the Series 9 as currently sold is the lack of a VGA dongle which many business travellers want in case they need to plug into a projector.

Samsung offer two products (a) The AA-AH1NAMB micro-HDMI to VGA adaptor and (b) the AA-AV1N12B micro-VGA (Samsung proprietary) to VGA adaptor (there may also be a similar AA-AV2N12B). The micro-HDMI adaptor needs to use a digital to analogue converter while the VGA adaptor is a simple pass-through connector and should be very cheap (and included in the box). Both are currently hard to find.

In the quest for something to enable me to take my S9 travelling I have bought this plus this. I've connected to a TV with a VGA port and can confirm that the arrangement works, albeit with noticeable loss of contrast. It will suffice until Samsung arrange to make their adaptors available in sensible quantities.

John

4. Triskite

Triskite Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I personally do not recommend using a micro->full hdmi adapter as that blocks adjacent ports (and could potentially damage the device more easily if jostled).

Rather, I use a $4 micro->full cable from meritline.com. You can also buy hdmi->vga adapters and usb->vga and usb->hdmi adapters there as well for cheap.

I also highly recommend a C8 2 prong to C5 3 prong adapter so you aren't forced to find a grounded outlet-
    Amazon.com: SF Cable, IEC C8 2 prong plug to C5 3 prong receptacle: Electronics

I have the Speck 13" case with microfiber interior, and find it to be a pretty good fit:
    Amazon.com: Speck Products Form-Fitting Sleeve for 13-Inch MacBook Air / Ultrabook (SPK-A0227): Electronics

5. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I agree that the dongle isn't ideal. That lump sticking out of a very small port does seem very fragile. However, the only alternative to a dongle that I could find in UK is a 6ft cable which isn't the ideal size to keep in the bottom of the bag for emergencies. I plan to get the Samsung VGA dongle (for the right hand port) once it is available.

This flash drive is usable even with the dongle in place (the drive is the size of a USB plug). It's also the fastest USB 2.0 flash drive in my collection.

John

6. Triskite

Triskite Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    for those of you in the US, here are some options, including some shorter and slimmer cables:
    Adapter, Video Adapter | Meritline.com
    HDMI Cable, Slim HDMI Cable, 5 Feet Micro HDMI to HDMI Video Cable | Meritline.com
    USB Cable, Micro USB to MHL HDMI HDTV Cable Adapter | Meritline.com
    3.3 Feet Micro HDMI Type D to HDMI Type A Cable, Black
    Adapter, Computer Adapter | Meritline.com

7. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    How would you plug the micro USB end of one of these into the S9? If it used a micro HDMI plug then I would grab one.

And today I found what looks to be the ideal sleeve. Fairly thin neoprene and a tight, but adequate, fit on my 13" S9 so no excess bulk.

(Yes, my NP900X3B is inside it in those photos).

Where did I find it? In Poundland

John

8. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I've now got the Samsung official micro-HDMI to VGA dongle.

The label shows it is a rev 3 so maybe it Samsung a few attempts to get these working properly.

It fits OK and adds to the crowd at the left side ports on the 13" Series 9:

I plugged it into a TV with a VGA socket and it immediately switched the computer to 1280 x 800 (the TV's resolution) and showed the display on both the computer and the TV. It was a much better quality image on the TV than the 3rd party dongle I had bought previously.

John

9. thoots

thoots Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Contrary to everyone else, I think I have found "the perfect sleeve" for the 13.3-inch 900X3B notebook. I bought my computer at my local Best Buy, and this seemed to be the most minimal case they had:

Golla - Corona Sleeve for 13" Apple® MacBook® and Ultrabook - Blue - CG969

The Golla "Corona" sleeve. I don't find it on Golla's web site, but it appears to be the same thing as the "Sydney" sleeve:

Products | Golla

I've tried a number of other sleeves, and checked out many more online, but this seems to be that little bit smaller all around, so that it fits the 900X3B just about perfectly. Best of all, it seems to fit the thickness of the 900X3B better than anything else -- I've found other sleeves that were "thinner" inside, but then they bulged out like sausages with the notebook inside. This Golla sleeve is "just right" in every dimension -- I sure haven't found anything anywhere near as close as this one.

The graphics are a bit odd, but you really don't notice them much at all -- it just comes off looking like a dark blue sleeve. And Golla has it in a couple of other colors, if you prefer white or plaid. (Bleah!)

This is also very protective, including lining underneath the zipper. It has already proven it to me, as I gave it a "drop test" the other day, when I knocked it off of my cubicle desktop and onto the floor, while I was fighting with my backpack. The notebook survived just fine.

So, for your consideration, I would sure recommend this one.

10. wow400

wow400 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have just bought a new power adaptor for my travels as the Samsung one was (relatively) bulky / heavy & needed that cloverleaf power cable or the Maplins adapter.

It turned up today & I have to say it's spot on - £16 & it takes the standard figure-of-eight power cable :D

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007EC62HC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Like the one John links too (which was out of stock hence I had to look for another), the DC cable is not the longest but that's no problem for me as I have my own US mains plug to figure of 8 lead which is about 10' long (useful for hotels!!).

I'll update if it falls apart or doesn't perform as expected but so far, so good!

Cheers,
    Nic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.