Series 7 Ultra NP730U3E / NP740U3E with AMD HD 8570M and optional 4G LTE

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you haven't seen this thread about WiFi remedies, please read it and try the various suggestions.

John

2. Vins32

Vins32 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I have a brand new Samsung Ativ Book 7 (NP740U3E-K01UB). It is a US-only version and it comes with a glossy touchscreen and the Intel HD4000 GPU (no AMD).

Does anyone have the same model? Do you get the option to boot from the SSD when in CSM Mode? If yes, which BIOS version are you running? I am on P05ABW and I can only boot from USB devices when in CSM mode. (I would like to install linux and, to get the everything working, it is recommended to install it in bios (CSM) mode, but I would also like to keep my Win 8 in dual boot config)

Last but not least: does anyone have a link to the P04ABW bios so I can try to downgrade? I've already read the sticky post, the BIOS is not in the Google cached list and I can't try every date/time combination from the Samsung website :)

Thanks!
    Vins

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hello Vins, welcome to NBR. And congrats on that lovely new laptop!

Your disk is partitioned using the new GPT partition layout (as opposed to the classic old MBR layout). GPT disks can ONLY be read by an UEFI OS running in UEFI mode. You will NOT be able to read that disk in CSM mode without first converting it to MBR -- which will lose everything on the disk, including your Windows installation, any data, and your Recovery.

Be careful about this: Messing with UEFI/CSM mode (and particularly making disk changes with some 3rd party tools) is one of the most common ways that new owners get their PCs messed up, often in ways that cannot be easily fixed. You probably want to read a little first. The following Microsoft articles are great background:

Understanding Disk Partitions
    Windows and GPT FAQ

I highly recommend that you boot Recovery (F4) and create a so-called Bootable Factory Image backup on a 32GB USB stick, before you start installing anything or changing partitions. This USB stick will be a self-contained bootable Recovery that you can use to restore your disk to factory state, should you ever need to do so. It also works as Win8 install media (which you may not otherwise have). Before making this backup (or before using it) you should change OS Mode Selection back to UEFI OS.

The following Samsung support page describes the steps. Note that you really DO need a 32GB stick, even if the factory image itself is less than 16GB. This is because the backup also includes Recovery software (that's the bootable part).

Create A Factory Image

All that aside, you should be able to install Linux in UEFI mode. We DID have some serious problems with last year's models (see the sticky thread here), but we haven't heard any such reports from this year's models. No guarantees, though :eek:

There is more Series 7 Linux discussion in the thread linked below:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/723676-linux-series-7-2013-ativ-book-8-a.html

If you DO want to convert your disk to MBR (after creating that Bootable Factory Image backup) you can use the steps at the end of this Win7 install guide.

Keep us posted on your progress :)

4. Vins32

Vins32 Newbie

Reputations:
    That's a very detailed and informative reply! thanks!

Few more things I'd like to point out regarding my current setup:

- I have a dual boot setup with Archlinux and Windows 8, both working fine in UEFI mode

- the samsung-laptop module under linux doesn't work anymore under any recent linux distributions when in UEFI mode. This by design, as stated by the maintainer, to prevent issues with the serious problems you mentioned in your post. This means that in linux uefi mode there is no keyboard backlight/fan speed control support. It is currently recommended to install linux in BIOS/Legacy mode on recent Samsung laptops

- I can boot in both UEFI mode and Legacy mode from a USB key (Arch install image). If in CSM only mode I get the option to boot from a USB key, even if it is GPT-partitioned and it has no OS installed. That is why I was assuming that it was possible to boot from the internal SSD device as well in BIOS mode

- I am familiar with GPT/MBR partition schemes and there seems to be ways to install the GRUB bootloader on GPT disks by creating a special Boot Partition. I've done that, no luck.

Bottom line is: I am curious to see if people with same laptop model (maybe different BIOS version) see the option of booting from the SSD (in the F10 Boot Menu) when in CSM only mode.

Thanks for the recommendation regarding the Bootable Factory image backup. That's something I didn't consider (even if I have done a GPT partition backup and cloned the recovery partition to another PC. The USB key would be much more easier to recover from)

5. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Got it, thank you for the update. And apologies for posting such basic advice for you, you clearly know what you're doing. I am always trying to prevent train wrecks because I know they tend to end up in this forum :eek:

I have to say I'll be surprised if there is ANY way that you can boot and run an UEFI Win8 installation on a GPT partitioned disk while being in CSM mode -- regardless of BIOS version. At most I would expect that you can see the Protective MBR in the GPT table, which is there specifically to protect the integrity of the GPT disk from legacy (CSM) apps.

Please keep us posted if you find that. Probably most relevant to post it in that Linux thread I linked. (I just updated that link because the thread was renamed after being merged with another Linux thread).

6. Vins32

Vins32 Newbie

Reputations:
    No worries about the basic advice, my initial post was very generic :)

You are right, Windows 8 won't boot in CSM mode, but if keep laptop in "UEFI and CSM OS" I can boot both Windows 8 and a USB key in legacy mode.

I'll see what I can find in the linux thread.

Thanks again!
    Vins

7. Dannemand

Reputations:
    That's true, as long as you boot from USB, you can do that. If you find a way to boot a legacy OS from the internal disk while in UEFI & CSM mode, I will be very interested to hear it. It would have to perform an in-flight brain transplant on itself after the initial boot from the GPT disk, but maybe there is a way.

8. Vins32

Vins32 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'll keep you posted. But I've just checked the BIOS of a Samsung Series 9 and I do see the Hard drive (SATA: XXXX) in the boot priority options beside the "Windows Boot Manager" option.

In my BIOS I don't get the "SATA: DEVICE_NAME" boot option, noly the list of the EFI bootloaders. So I guess it is a problem with Samsung Bios (that is why I am looking for an older version) or maybe with the SSD firmware (I have a LiteOn model).

9. ComradeNF

ComradeNF Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I still don't understand how people are getting 6-7 hours of battery life on this laptop while streaming video. I have tried every single possible combination of wifi and graphics drivers the past 3 days and the most I ever got was 5 hours and 20 minutes of battery life with the intel GPU driver (latest directly from intel) and the stock Windows 8 wifi driver.

This is while streaming a 720 Youtube video with headphones plugged in and volume at 10%. Brightness was at 25%. I found that the best battery life occured when I used Internet Explorer, and the worst was Google Chrome (Opera came second, Firefox came third).

I forgot to mention all background apps were closed. Only the browser and necessary drivers were running.

Can someone tell me exactly what drivers they are using to get 6-7 hours of battery life when streaming video?

10. Tyo

Tyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just got this laptop for my wife. Looks great and performs well.
    However the auto dim feature on the screen is annoying, I'm sitting here in room, lights turned off, only TV turned on, and laptop keeps adjusting brightness every minute depending on TV's brightness in the room.
    Is there a way to turn off auto dim on brightness and to turn of backlight keyboard manually ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.