Series 7 Ultra NP730U3E / NP740U3E with AMD HD 8570M and optional 4G LTE

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It would make sense that you need the BIOS update before updating to Win8.1. I don't own this model myself, and I am afraid I cannot speak to whether the latest BIOS has such issues. Hopefully other owners will chime in with their experience.

I personally found that Win8.1 works more in the background, which would generally cause more CPU and fan activity. If Win8 runs well for you, I don't think 8.1 offers any benefits beyond what a good 3rd party Start Menu can do.

dabezt likes this.
  2. roybot

roybot Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a NP730U3E-S02SE.

Currently I'm running Windows 8 with BIOS version P06ABW and Catalyst 13.11
    My regional Samsung support site for Windows 8.1 lists my model as compatible. Windows Holiday BOM

In SW Update I can update to BIOS version P07ABW and Settings version 2.0.0.72. Are those updates required for a successful upgrade to Windows 8.1? And if so, will this model suffer from increased fan noise once updated?

Thanks for all the useful information posted in this forum!

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hello roybot, welcome to NBR.

Check the update in the opening post of our stickied Win8 update thread, linked below, and also scan that thread backwards for relevant posts over the last few weeks.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/734915-windows-8-1-update-issues-discussion.html

You generally want to perform BIOS updates first, though I cannot say if it has the issues you mention, since I don't own the same model. Hopefully other owners can comment on that.

After Microsoft's updates to Win8.1 you should be able to use any recent version of Settings, including 2.0.0.72 or the newer versions 2.3.x.

4. Tyo

Tyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Seems the laptop I bought for my wife developed really loud fan noise.
    I didn't look into it yet, maybe on a weekend when I have more time, but anyone with similar problem ?

5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There are a few people in the forum who have reported increased fan activity after BIOS updates but I'm too lazy to read through this thread to see if this model is affected.

However, a bit of fluff in the cooling system could push the CPU temperature over a threshold for one of the fan speed changes. Samsung usually have these at 51C (very low) 61C (medium), 71C (high) and, maybe, 81C (frantic). You can use HWiNFO > Sensors to see what the CPU temperature is doing. The idle temperature should be well below 61C (the speed at which the fan becomes quite audible). My NP900X4C is currently in the low 50s. If your CPU temperature is above the mid 50s then check the CPU utilization in Task Manager. 5% is a typical figure for light usage. If there is any process with 25% CPU then it is stuck in a loop because 25% represents one core running at full speed.

If the temperature is a little high but the CPU usage is OK then it's time to get the base off and clean out the cooling system. The air inlets on the bottom tend to suck in any dirt they can find.

John

Dannemand likes this.
  6. Tyo

Tyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh, it's not an issue of fan working faster and creating more noise.
    it's an issue of fan making strange noise when it's working, like the fan is rubbing against something, or is not working smooth.

7. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Thanks for the clarification.

A few people have encountered similar problems although not specifically with this notebook.

I would first take the bottom off the notebook and have a closer look / listen. Even if you are covered by warranty it may be easier to get a new fan from samsungparts.com and fit it yourself than send it to a service center who (since they are relatively noisy places) can't detect anything abnormal and send the computer back without fixing it.

John

8. turniplover

turniplover Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

I have the NP740U3E but without the dedicated graphics card :( I would like to buy and upgrade to the AMD Radeon™ HD 8570M graphics card, but I can't find it anywhere. Is it possible to upgrade? Does anybody know where I could find one?

Thanks

9. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    This is not an easy upgrade.

You would need to change the mainboard and heat sink. The AMD graphics chip is soldered and effectively replaces one of the SODIMM slots.

John

10. batfastad

batfastad Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone

I'm seriously looking at buying a new laptop and this 13" ultrabook with full HD screen seems pretty good. Especially the NP740U3E with discrete graphics card.

Can anyone comment on the Linux support for this model?
    I'm planning to run Xubuntu/Debian testing/Linux Mint as my primary OS. I'm not even particularly bothered about keeping the Win 8 partition as I have no intention of using Windows.

I've never used UEFI or Windows 8 and from various bits out on the internet it seems there are difficulties with Samsung laptops UEFI, dual booting Win 8/Linux etc.

Anyone got any first-hand experience of the extent of Linux support for this model?
    I'd love to find a laptop where all the functions run as expected under Linux. I always end up having to mess about solving Wifi stability, or fan/power issues.

Cheers, B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.