1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Series 7 Chronos All Models: Push for SAMSUNG to implement "FIXED MODE" in BIOS

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Dec 9, 2011.

?

Indicate your interest for Samsung to implement a fix for the OpenGL issue

1. I'm all for it, Samsung should implement a fix.

91.5%
  2. Otherwise I may consider returning the Series 7 for a refund.

43.2%
  1. yknyong1

yknyong1 Radiance with Radeon

Samsung Series 7 Chronos NP700Z5A NP700Z3A NP700Z4A NP700Z5B

Updated 9 May 2012
    There are users who encountered some issues with the SAMSUNG 8.940 driver. Read this post and further for workaround.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...implement-fixed-mode-bios-96.html#post8490384

Updated 7 April 2012
    Driver fix for OpenGL only, manual graphics switching still impossible
    Download the new update 8.940 from Samsung website. For certain models the drivers are still not updated, so use the following link to find it.
    http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...02/20120228191136307/VGA_AMD_8.940.0.0000.ZIP

Public Service Announcement: Samsung declines to fix Broken Switchable Graphics, citing technical resources limitation. (18 JAN 2012)

I just received the email from the Singapore Samsung CS Manager

"Dear Mr Young,

We refer to your feedback dated January 10th.

We have done a series of check with our HQ and about the NP700Z5A openGL supporting issue.
    At the moment we are unable to implement this function as this is not a simple BIOS update work. This will definitely include a hardware revision causing our mainboard design to be changed.

Our next model might have the PowerXpress5.0 support for openGL in dynamic GPU mode, and in addition, current NP700Z5A design also support openGL but with intel internal GFX mode.

We will be doing a refund for your Samsung laptop. Digital Asia will be in contact with you for the refund to be done.

We thank you for your feedback.

Please feel free to contact me for any further enquiries that you have.

Thanks & Regards,
    Mithya Saminathan - Manager
    Samsung Customer Care 1800-7267864"

So if any of you wants a refund, just contact your local Samsung and quote them on this post. Samsung needs to liaise with the reseller to do the refund for you.

Since already many have PM me to forward the email to them, I shall post a screenshot of the email, with my email address censored.

[image=750]http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/samsung/74789d1326929766-series-7-chronos-all-models-push-samsung-implement-fixed-mode-bios-capture1342.png[/image]

Our very own Campaign page on Facebook. Please like it and comment to show your support!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Serie...n-Switchable-Graphics/226363384111745?sk=wall

If Samsung implements the "fixed mode" graphics option in BIOS, potential benefits include:

Usage of OpenGL programmes without mod
    Ability to select which graphics to use
    Ability to update graphics driver yourself
    Undervolting and Overclocking of AMD HD6750M

Background Info: Other companies like HP have enabled BIOS options to allow for "Fixed Mode" graphics which enables the older type of switchable graphics (manual type).

So if possible, please let Samsung tech support know about this, the more the merrier to get this possibly implemented.

2. varyv88

varyv88 Notebook Enthusiast

I was thinking the very same myself. Installing new drivers from anywhere else but samsung is a hassle, especially if you uninstall previous drivers before installing new ones. I got packages from amd that weren't complete with the intel control center part and ended up installing them separately. Turns out that that you need to install a complete switchable graphics package for all features to be present as on the samsung drivers. Downloaded the original package from Samsung, then updated to 11.11c without uninstalling, all the while hoping that the intel part wouldn't get f'ed up again.

3. yknyong1

The driver alone is a hassle - AMD Dynamic Graphics is not as seamless as NVIDIA Optimus when it comes to installing drivers - because we need to rely on SAMSUNG to put out new drivers (or we hack drivers), which happens once in a blue moon.

Question is why suffer if Samsung can try to implement? If HP can do it, what's stopping Samsung?

4. varyv88

I would be more than happy if samsung chooses to go this way. It is always a good idea to listen to the customer - HP users seem pretty satisfied after the bios update. Also, this means their customers would have lesser problems with for their opengl applications, and not having to spend hours on the internet looking for solutions. Is is irritating to buy a 1k+ laptop with a very decent graphics card, and not being able to play your favorite game on it.

My question is this: At what level do we need to contact Samsung for them to understand our need/problems? We could try talking to customer service reps, but if we could focus our demands to someone who is closer to the solution, we could get it done faster.

5. savingpvtbryan

savingpvtbryan Notebook Consultant

I completely agree!

6. yknyong1

I don't know where you live, but it would be good if you could speak to a L2 tech.

7. varyv88

I'm in NY, so calling them should not be a problem. Actually, I will try doing that today and see what happens. Will let you guys know.

If we could all try talking to the same department, maybe we could get some resolution here.

8. yknyong1

We need more people to help let Samsung know about this, please do not hesitate to call up.

9. varyv88

Talked to live support online, had to provide them with laptop id# and they gave me a ticket no. to talk to tier 2 support after they couldn't find a solution. Tried calling the customer care line, but they couldn't find a tier 2 tech to talk to. Said they will call me back within 24h.
    Since this problem is not listed with them currently, more people need to tell them about the manual switch issue. Hopefully, that will make them prioritize it enough. A bios update is not something small....they need to know it's an issue with enough people to warrant it.

Will keep everyone updated.

EDIT: The tech from Samsung called and I explained the issue to him about the problem not just being limited to samsung laptops. He seemed friendly and really eager to help. The first level service lines from samsung are a little shoddy, though (beware of accents, at least on the general help line). The tier 2 support is fine, though.

We need to work as a community if we need to get this problem fixed as soon as possible. The number for samsung support is 1-800-726-7864. Call and tell them you need to talk to tier 2 about the switchable graphics issue and/or opengl. Also have your model and serial no. (this the the 14 digit alphanumeric on the white sticker on the back of your laptop) ready.

Manual switching would work so much better if we had the option.

10. yknyong1

We need more people to contribute. Else the two loners here can't get Samsung to move!

11. Energized

Energized Notebook Enthusiast

I'm in. Maybe we could start a petition.

12. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 308 Negra Arroyo Lane

I have a business contact at Samsung Mobile. I'll see if I can get in touch with someone who can help you guys. :)

13. InvertedVantage

InvertedVantage Notebook Enthusiast

I called. The tech support guy I talked to was really friendly but didn't know anything about the issue. He put me on hold and talked to someone higher up who apparently knows about it, but all he could tell me was that he didn't know and didn't have an answer. :(

14. yknyong1

I think everybody who's interested to have this OpenGL issue solved should post in this thread and then give a Samsung call. Once the thread amasses enough people, I'll show it to Samsung.

15. yknyong1

Hope this works

16. rajkumr

rajkumr Notebook Enthusiast

Hi guys!
    I have been following this thread for the last 2 days nonstop! I haven't got the chronos yet, but will be picking up one over the weekend here in dubai!

I was googling and found this
    http://reviews.us.samsung.com/profiles/7463/0123985856/profile.htm
    Check out the last entry regarding YouTube videos. I dunno if anybody has tried this, just thought would inform you guys!

17. varyv88

I'm assuming that like me, a lot of others who would like to get this issue resolved have finals going on. Hopefully, in a week or two, we can have some action going on. Occupy Samsung!

18. Strelzy

Strelzy Company Representative

I work in Samsung support and am a good bit higher up the chain than the support agents you've been calling. If you can help me understand what the specific core issues you're having with the laptop, I'd be happy to let the right people know.

19. yknyong1

Hi Strelzy, welcome to the forum. The Samsung Series 7 Chronos (NP700Z5A) uses AMD Dynamic Graphics automatic switching method.

However, due to this specific graphics switching method, OpenGL games and benchmarks cannot work. One example would be RAGE by ID who has always used openGL to make their games. OpenGL however is much more common in productivity software such as photoshop, solidworks, etc. So the lack of OpenGL support due to AMD Dynamic graphics switching pretty much cripples the Samsung Series 7 Chronos.

I am still a current owner of the HP ENVY 14 laptop. When it first launched, it also utilised the AMD Dynamic automatic switching method, which resulted in users complaining the lack of OpenGL support. The issue was resolved by HP releasing a new BIOS that added a new option for manual switching. The manual switching is the old type of switchable graphics where the screen would go blank for a few seconds while switching.

Since the manual switchable graphics is a fix for OpenGL support, we would like Samsung to work on and implement the manual switching option in the BIOS like HP did.

Some links from HP that would educate you further on the fix:
    Official HP statement on Switchable Graphics and Open GL Fun... - HP Support Forum
    HP Communities - On OpenGL and Switchable Graphics - HP Communities
    HP dv6, dv7, envy 2000series OpenGL fixed for all supported AMD/ATI cards. - Steam Users' Forums

Acknowledgement: Ianworld- some parts quoted from his post

20. Strelzy

Strelzy Company Representative

Done. I can't promise an immediate response, but I've sent the request to people who can make the decision. I'll let you know what I find out.