Series 5 ultrabook won't boot after installing windows to SSD

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Vladimir Sirin, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladimir Sirin

Vladimir Sirin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I received my Series 5 Ultrabook 13" 1 week ago and today received the Samsung 830 128Gb SSD I ordered separately.

After installing Windows 7 from an USB disk to the SSD, upon the first reboot the laptop freezes at the startup screen (where it says "Samsung", if I'm fast enough I can access the BIOS, but not so after waiting for a few seconds, then the laptop just doesn't respond at all). I tried to reinstall windows, but the same thing happened.

Does anyone know what I could do?

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not in front of my Series 5, but look to see if there is an option to disable express cache in the BIOS and see if it will successfully boot...

3. joeyl

joeyl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    there is no option that I can see to disable express cache in the bios. I think the boot files get written to the express cache, somebody was saying to format the express cache to Mac format so that Windows cannot write to it. You can also use an external DVD drive and you won't get that problem :eek:

4. spincel

spincel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This issue has been stated in other topics. The reason Windows cannot boot are the boot files were written down to the iSSD or there is something on the iSSD that prevent Windows to boot. In order to resolve this, you need to delete, not just format, 2 disks: the iSSD and HDD or SSD. Then using the solution on "How to get the EC back" to install Windows again. Another thing is that using DVD to install Windows is better than USB. I just recently ordered an SSD so I will test if it would happen to me.

Also, if someone plan to use SSD, the iSSD could be left alone because SSD is enough. However, you could use iSSD to cache or pagefile.

5. yknyong1

yknyong1 Radiance with Radeon

Reputations:
    Solution: Always use DVD to install Windows 7 for all computers with iSSD.

6. spincel

spincel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any advice to use the iSSD when we already have SSD? :)

7. Vladimir Sirin

Reputations:
    Thanks for the answers so far.

Unfortunately I do not have an external dvd drive and do not feel like buying one unless absolutely necessary.

Deleting the Express Cache partitions and reinstalling didn't work, the installer still puts 100mb or so on the Express Cache, despite that I chose the SSD to install Windows to. I did not find a solution to my problem in the "I Want My ExpressCache Back!" thread.
    How can I do this without windows installed? I can only format to NTFS/FAT32 using the command prompt I think?

8. Vladimir Sirin

Reputations:
    I booted Porteus (a small Linux distribution) from USB and formatted the Express Cache to the standard Linux file system. Now returning to the Windows Installer, it shows

Disk 0 Partion 1: System Reserved, Total Size: 14.9Gb, Free Space: 86.0 Mb, Type: Primary
    Disk 1 Unallocated Space, Total Size: 119.2Gb, Free Space: 119.2Gb

However, when I now select Disk 1 and click next I get the error "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information."

9. yknyong1

yknyong1 Radiance with Radeon

Reputations:
    It has already been proven that USB installation does not work with the Samsung Series 5. Do your self a favour, get an external drive, because you are wasting time trying things others have had tried and failed.

10. Vladimir Sirin

Reputations:
    Okay, I bought a DVD drive and got it to work indeed :) Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.