Self-driving Vehicles in 2015: We will all be passengers.

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by J.Dre, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    I'd say that's definitely the case in North America, where car companies probably spend almost as much money the food industry to promote their products. But you are correct about the money-making aspect although I suppose you could argue many players lose out when you buy a 1$ frozen diner over the produce/meat and the resources needed (electricity/gas, pots/pans and appliances) to cook an actual meal.

I think outside North America the phenomenon is less. Even I'm personally a bit surprised how dependent people are on vehicles. Anything under 30min walk (I'd even say 1h in some cases) I'd walk/bicycle unless I needed the car (time or cargo).

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I don't consider driving to be a chore, I enjoy driving. My past 2 cars were more enthusiast/fun (my old rear wheel drive sports coupe 240SX, and my dead stick shift Integra). I only bought the XV as an AWD crossover for the north east as it tends to have bad weather during the winter time. I used to go autocrossing, and I can assure you that is not a chore.

3. Melody

Reputations:
    I think a lot of people don't consider riving a chore, they probably consider commuting a chore (aka adding in traffic and all that). Mind you, I also don't consider cooking or doing groceries a chore so what do I know? :p

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I mean sure commuting is boring, but if you have a car that is fun to drive, commuting isn't the worst thing ever (unless you are sitting in I270/495 traffic everyday). It's what we do to keep a job, otherwise traffic would make plenty of people unemployed. :)

PS: I don't find cooking or grocery shopping a chore, but I probably spend too much time doing it and enjoying it.

5. Melody

Reputations:
    Well the definition of a chore is something you don't enjoy, but have to do anyways so yes, commuting through traffic would count :p I'd know, I used to live in one of the worst traffic spots in North America (and add to that that the bridge I routinely had to go through was considered unsafe by the Transport Minister, but hey, we need to get across right?); nobody likes doing it (especially below -20C) but they do in order to reach their jobs.

PS: that's great :D The rise of fast foods, instant/frozen food and all that make me lose a bit of hope for society :p

6. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I love driving, and I hope they never completely do away with it. I'm sure "high-end" super cars/sport cars (i.e. Lamborghini's, Corvettes, Camaro's, etc.) will remain the same. Or they'll at least have the option to turn the automation off and take "manual" control of the vehicle.

The future could be like the movies, where people keep old cars in their possession but they're illegal to drive because they're deemed "too unsafe to drive" by the DOT. :D It's interesting to think about. Unfortunately, it's likely that none of us chatting/thinking about it will ever know for sure. I doubt it will be like that in our lifetimes.

Someone make a time machine. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.