Self-driving Vehicles in 2015: We will all be passengers.

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by J.Dre, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Problem with that would be that the driver must be in the drivers seat in a self driving car. Which, IMO, defeats the purpose of such a car; if I have to be in that seat, might well take the wheel, I see it.

Personally, if I have to use a self driving car, want be able to lay down on a sofa in the back to chill. Or something similar.

2. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, if you own the car, you should be in the drivers seat. Maybe one day there won't be a drivers seat, as there is no driver. Who knows. I don't have a time machine.

I demand La-Z-boy lounge chairs in vehicles!

Jarhead likes this.
  3. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Darn right, though I don't own a car being a student and all, I did get to drive a mini cooper S recently and it's so much fun! SO I'd still drive because it's fun.

4. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Overall, this is great. Eventually, as adoption of self-driving tech increases, we'll have fewer people falling asleep at the wheel or driving drunk and harming others. Personally, I would prefer to drive the old-fashioned way as I love the experience, but I know many others who A) would love not having to drive themselves or B) really shouldn't be driving themselves.

Mitlov, katalin_2003 and Convel like this.
  5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    For sleepy drivers, I'm all for some level of self-driving. In the few instances where I'm "sleep driving", it's very scary since it's basically like driving drunk, not to mention that it takes much longer to reach a destination because I have to drive slow and pull off the road more often.

My biggest problem isn't the technology itself, but the likely possibility that, when the technology matures enough, it will be made illegal for you and I to drove ourselves in the traditional sense. Probably a good thing for society overall (reduced accidents, etc), but I'd rather force people to take more rigorous driver training / exams (a la Finland, for example) than force people out of the driver's seat (metaphorical and/or literal).

6. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    +1 to that last statement. It would also help elderly people with going places who have difficulties driving. Honestly, I find it a bit absurd to see 80+ year old people behind the wheel of some large vehicle. Their response time must be horrible.

There are also mothers with 2 or 3 children in the backseat of their huge SUV, while they're on the cellphone and putting on makeup. The whole "self-driving" vehicle will eliminate the risk of so many scenarios, ultimately saving lives.

Mitlov and Jarhead like this.
  7. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Exactly. The automobile didn't prevent equestrian enthusiasts from being able to ride their horses, and there's no reason that the availability of self-driving cars for the masses will prevent driving enthusiasts from buying and driving enthusiast's cars.

Melody likes this.
  9. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    This thread is interesting in the sense that it proves the ideas that people are only for automation of things they don't like doing :p Driving is probably one of the few [daily] activities that people do not consider a chore doing (as opposed to say cooking, cleaning, climbing stairs, groceries) except if we consider traffic. When you compare the myriad of inventions that were invented for the sake of making us not do the work (automatic dishwashers, microwaves, slow cookers, vacuum robots, canned/frozen/instant meals etc.), cars are one of the few things that have resisted quite a long time in the push for time saving/automation.

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    The driving experience has been romanticized heavily by advertising (because automobiles are a huge industry, whereas nobody makes money when you do dishes by hand), but when push comes to shove, I think a lot of people actually DO consider driving to be a chore. I don't, but then again, I'm a grown man in a boy-racer car, so I'm not part of the typical majority.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.