Seemingly dead CF-54 MK2 - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by dan_189, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    If you are handy... You could check the little white boxes soldered on the Mobo with a multimeter. (They are fuses.) It's rare, but they can burn out. I just don't know if there is one there to cover the screen or not. If you know the screen and inverter are good because you checked them on another laptop... It's something on your mobo... If bad... I have replaced these with buss fuses of the same same rating.

toughasnails likes this.
  2. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    @dan_189 The way I see it is if it works fine with the external monitor then the bottom half is working fine. If there was a problem with the bottom half then you should see the same problem on the external monitor also. This is why I said to try the external monitor. My guess it's a broken cable/ line or backlight.

You can order LCD cable/lines from Heartlands but backlight you need to send the laptop in to have it replaced. They stopped selling them because of high rate of return...many people don't know how to handle them and were blowing them as I was told by the one I was dealing with at Heartlands.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  3. Springfield

Springfield Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Took off the whole top display and swapped it onto your other CF-54? That does strongly imply a mainboard fault.

If CF-54 is like other Toughbooks, it will show the boot screen to an external monitor, press F2 during boot

One other thought. The BIOS may default to displaying on an external monitor plugged directly into the laptop. That is a Toughbook recovery feature. There could be a BIOS setting for that, or possibly a shorted pin in the external monitor port telling the BIOS an external cable is plugged in. Should be easy enough to check.

toughasnails likes this.