Seeking your help for buying a new Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Zlooo, Oct 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zlooo

Zlooo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all,

First, I would like to sincerely thank everyone who is contributing to the laptop reviews and assessments. I have been going through many websites for reviews and it is very clear that companies who spend more on their marketing get the best laptop reviews.

So, I currently have an ASUS N550J with 4th gen i7 and a GT 750m GPU. The laptop is good (other than my struggle to find the correct updates for the drivers) and I am now looking for my next laptop which should stay with me for at least 3 to 4 years.

General Questions
    Before we start with the questions, My main main main concern in heating, what I really don't want is a laptop with bad cooling. I am not willing to overthrottle any component, so I expect the laptop to remain cool and happy at all times :)

1) What is your budget?
    up to 2500 USD but might extend it a little

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen but could go for 17" if it is really a good deal

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    I live in Dubai where prices are very much inflated and options are a bit limited, butI have access to all online shops in the world, taking into consideration that shipping would cost me an extra 150 - 200 $

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: NO
    b. Dislike: Acer? I guess i don't like it but I don't have a reason ...

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes, I could consider them. i will post below some of the refurbished options i currently have.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Average Gaming ( Dota 2, cs-go, but might go for higher requiring games soon) movie streaming, and casual work

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both, but battery life does not really matter. Laptop weight is a minor issue for me as well.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes, DOTA2, CS-GO, and planning to get some more demanding games like Doom.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    does not matter

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I am okay with both options

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    win 10
    Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

FHD with 120 fps, would go for 60 FPS if u recomend so

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    not sure ...

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Nah
    15) When are you buying this laptop?
    I have time, I could buy it now or wait for a couple of weeks if it is worth to wait

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    At least 3 to 4 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

I need SSD

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    NO

I also have a couple more questions. I have been reading a lot about gtx 1060, 1070 and 1080 and I feel that 1060 is enough for me. However, 1070 would still be useful in a couple of years while 1060 might not. I also feel 1080 is an overkill for me since I don't really require that much power... still I am open for options :)

Now I currently have the following options, but I am open to all other options:

• 2100 $ Certified Refurbished Alienware 15R3
      • Processor: Intel Core 7th Generation i7-7820HK Processor (Quad Core, up to 3.90 GHz, 8MB Cache, 45W)
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • 1TB 2.5inch SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
      • 512GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive
      • 32GB DDR4 Non-ECC SDRAM 2400MHz (2x16GB
      • 15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) 120Hz TN+WVA Anti-Glare 400-nits Display
      • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
    • 2450 $ Open Box MSI GT73VR 6RF TITAN PRO-202 | (SKYLAKE i7-6820HK, GTX1080 8GB, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD+1TB HDD)
      • Display: 17.3" FHD Anti-Glare Wide View Angle 120Hz 5ms 94% NTSC 1920x1080 | Operating System: Windows 10
      • Processor: Intel Core i7-6820HK Quad Core Processor (2.7-3.6GHz)
      • Graphics Card: NVIDIA's Latest GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X
      • RAM: 32GB (16GB x2) DDR4 2400MHz
      • Hard Drive: 512GB SSD (PCIE Gen3 x4) + 1TB (7200RPM)
      • Special features: VR READY | 120Hz 5ms Monitor | Steel Series Full Color Backlight Keyboard w/ Anti-Ghost Key + Silver Lining | Thunderbolt 3 | Dual Killer Gaming Network E2400 | Killer N1535 Combo | Metal Build
    • 2050 $ Open Box MSI GT73VR 6RE TITAN PRO | (SKYLAKE i7-6820HK, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD+1TB HDD, GTX1070 8GB
      • CPU: Latest 6th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK processor
      • Memory: 16Gb DDR IV
      • Display: 17.3 FHD IPS level panel,
      • Graphics: GTX 1070 GDDR5
      • Storage: 128 GB SSD + 1TB Storage (7200RPM)
      • Audio: Sound by Dynaudio with Woofer, ESS SABRE HiFi audio DAC technology
    • 1990 $ Open Box - Brand New Condition with box and accessories Dell Alienware AW17R4- 17" FHD Laptop ( i7-7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 256GB SSD, GTX 1070 8GB, Black
      • Intel Core i7-7700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.8GHz w/Turbo Boost)
      • 16GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x8GB); 32GB Maximum
      • 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s + 256GB SSD ; No Optical Drive
      • NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
      • 17.3 inch FHD IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits Display

• 1750 $ Open Box Dell Alienware AW17R4- 17" FHD Laptop ( i7-7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD, GTX 1070 8GB)
      • Intel Core i7-7700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.8GHz w/Turbo Boost)
      • 16GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x8GB); 32GB Maximum
      • 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s + 128GB SSD ; No Optical Drive
      • NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
      • 17.3 inch FHD IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits Display
    I would really appreciate your feedback, advise and any suggestions you may have:)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    So I'll say something that many may disagree with but I feel a 1070 is not a great choice since a 1060 will run cooler, quieter, offer good 1080p performance, cost much less and give you a chassis that is reasonably-sized. Hence why I'd suggest something like the MSI GS63 or Asus GL502VM or the Gigabyte Aero 15. These are fairly small machines and thus do run warm but they also cost about 1300-1600$ and still perform very well.

Zlooo likes this.
  3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Well if you need a notebook with good thermals your only option is currently MSI. Alienware is a complete disaster in terms of thermals.

Considering you're playing CS:GO and Dota 2 (7k meepo spammer here :'D) you probably want to go for the MSI GT73VR 6RF TITAN PRO-202, 120hz panel is something u'd be really happy about.

4. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    MSI GT73VR

5. Zlooo

Reputations:
    So you guys think MSI is the best performing laptop if we take the size and weight aside? And also, do you think a 1060 would be good for a high demanding game like witcher 3 ?
    Alienware has a cooling problem as everyone suggested, what about ROG's Gl502-vs or omen or predator models ?
    One more thing, do you think that the 2450 $ Open Box MSI GT73VR 6RF TITAN PRO-202 is a good deal ? Taking into consideration that it'd only have 3 days exchange policy and 6 months retailer warranty... and manufacturer warranty would probably not be valid .

6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    I play witcher 3 on my OC 980M and SC 970M, both run witcher 3 on 60fps (some dips to mid 50s if a lot happens) 1080p on ultra/high mix. Considering that the GTX 1060 is around the same performance then I'd say yeah.

Zlooo likes this.
  7. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    The 1060 should handle Witcher 3 with ease assuming you don't pump WetFurWorks into it. Then things get more difficult.

As for size: performance - any small laptop will run warm and potentially at somewhat lower GPU clocks since you have less surface area for cooling.

MSI's software/BIOSes are crap but their electrical design is solid. Assuming you're willing to be gentle with the screen lid (they're not as tough as Alienware) then you're fine.

The old Omens are garbage, the new ones are decent. As for the Predators - they tend to run hot on the CPU side.

1 year full warranty from a reputable store is mandatory. Preferably 2 years. I wouldn't buy a machine with anything less than that.

Zlooo likes this.
  8. Zlooo

Reputations:
    Thank you, this is actually very helpful. I'm not sure how much MSI's chappy Bios and software would affect the experience. Are we speaking drivers updates ? Heating due to Bios problems?
    And regarding the warranty, I honestly never purchased a refurbished laptop. on the other hand, I never had to use the warranties in any of my previous 3 laptops. Yet I perfectly understand, will probably follow your advise. Investing 2500 in a laptop without a warranty is probably not wise.
    So considering that I am left with new laptops only, a a bit limited budget... ROG is the only remaining option ? Maybe gl502vs ? Would a cooling pad solve the heating problems ?

9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    The BIOSes are geared towards performance meaning battery life is absolute ****. I'm not kidding. Their 6-cell battery-equipped devices can barely manage 3-4 hours while competing products get 6-7. As for software - they have a LOT of bloatware. All of it is unnecessary and a clean windows install is highly recommended when buying MSI. Other than that, nothing to worry about explicitly with their GS and GT models.

Every laptop I've bought or touched has had at least one warranty repair so I tend to be very careful in that regard. A friend of mine got burned recently since he bought his laptop for cheap with no warranty and is now having issues 1 year later.

The 502VS model (1070) has heat issues. The 502VM (1060 model) runs warm but with an undervolt it can be managed. Honestly, buying a good 1060 machine with warranty is better than buying the cheapest 1070 machine or losing warranty. Not to mention the 1070 will likely be as outdated as the 1060 in 2 years time. I mean, look at the 970M vs 960M - the price difference was the same and now the 970M is only as good as a 1050 Ti.

10. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Only 3 hours you say? That is more than the 50 minutes I get from my old M17X.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.