Seeking recommendations for notebook

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by codeslinger, Jan 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codeslinger

codeslinger Newbie

Reputations:
    I am seeking a notebook with the following criteria, in order of importance:
    1. Under $1000
    2. OS = Windows XP Home
    3. Fast bootup
    4. WiFi ready
    5. Good keyboard
    6. Runs cool
    7. CDRW for data backup.
    8. Refurbished is OK, but must have 1 year warranty.

Due to the above criteria, I assume 256M (maybe more) RAM, 5600 rpm (7200 would be nice) HD, built-in WiFi antenna.

The use of this computer is basic accounting software, and basic web surfing on a cable modem.

Also, recommendations for printer/scanner/fax combo to connect to this computer. Print quality not as important as cheap toner refills.

Thank you very much.

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    Well, your sort of in the Budget notebook book range when under $1000. The Dell 1100 and Gateway M505 are decent notebooks you can get online for around $800 - $900 with the requirements you seek.

Are you willing to pay over $1000 and then wait for rebates? If so, this eMachine deal is pretty amazing at BestBuy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1063670218918&bfinfo=0-0-0-0-10ijma&skuId=6046824&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01174

For $1000 after rebates you have a machine with built-in 802.11 b/g, 60.0GB Hard Drive, DVD and CD-RW, 512MB RAM, nice screen. I have a friend that got this and is totally happy...eMachines was kind of crappy when they first came out, but their cust. service and satisfaction is actually very good now. Worth looking into. Keep checking this site for deals posted as well.

3. Arch~Angel

Arch~Angel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey check into Dell Outlet. My friend just ordered a nice 5100 Series laptop for around 1 grand. Here is the link:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

Good Luck,

Arch~Angel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.