Second HDD Caddy with a flip switch

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hhhd1, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhhd1

hhhd1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just got one of those 2nd HDD caddy's that makes it possible to fit a HDD/SSD in the place of the DVD drive, and I noticed this flip switch, it is on the inside of the caddy, beside the SATA connectors,

What does it do ?

25slytg.jpg
    [​IMG]

There are plenty of similar caddys on ebay that have pictures showing a similar flip switch.

2. mattcheau

mattcheau Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it's a switch that, when slid all the way toward the SATA interface, will prevent the diagnostic pin from making a connection with the ground pins. here's an illustration. depending on the model of your machine, you may need to utilize the switch if you're having sleep/standby/shutdown issues after caddying your drive. (you can read about those kinds of issues here and here.)

i personally have a caddy with this switch that i use for a storage drive and it worked plug-and-play--probably because i don't boot from the caddied drive.

Shawn likes this.
  3. hhhd1

hhhd1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info.

I wonder though if there is any risk of running that SATA adapter in one way or the other ..

4. mattcheau

mattcheau Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you either want to boot in the drive manufacturer's diagnostic mode or not. whether or not that has any effect on the data/software installed to the disk (e.g. sleep/standby/shutdown in windows) is an ancillary matter--and the only "risk," if it can even be appropriately called that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.