Second-hand thinkpad x301 owner's thread.

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bronsky, Aug 7, 2012.

1. johnmcdonnell

johnmcdonnell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is ThrottleStop running? Try removing ThrottleStop entirely, restart and then check the CPU speed with a utility like CPU-Z. I believe the U9400 should top out at 1400 MHz when the multiplier isn't being manipulated.

2. shawross

shawross Newbie

Reputations:
    If you have Throttle Stop installed you can set the multiplier to 7 which will limit the CPU to 1400 MHZ.

I use Throttle Stop and undervolt my U9400 to VID .8875 and it runs cool.

IDA only works if you have minimum and maximum CPU speeds set to 100% through your power manager.

3. dedista

dedista Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Everybody!

I made the pinmod on the motherboard with rotating the resistor. The frequency with my su9400 is now 1.86GHz. The problem is, that my windows is not booting up. Fails with blue screen. What should I do?

Thanks for your help!

4. shawross

shawross Newbie

Reputations:
    How did you go with this? Maybe your memory is causing it to fail to boot.

5. jra166

jra166 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  6. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I seem to recall people having trouble, more than usual, with third party batteries on the X301. In my experience, you're usually better off buying a larger main battery if that's an option. Bay batteries are small and always discharge first, so they tend to wear really fast. I had an OEM Lenovo battery for my R60 and I think it was at 50% capacity in six months.

7. jra166

jra166 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    BattDepot bay batteries seem to be working just fine. The Bay battery discharged first and then it went immediately to the regular battery. No strange behavior, or delayed percentage drops.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Good to hear that. The aftermarket bay batteries did not do this before,. Only the OEM bay batteries discharged in sequence. Glad to hear that this issue is resolved. I haven't used my old X301 for years. It's still soldering on in my family though.

9. Zenty

Zenty Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello to all forum members.

I have been a user of X301 for 2 years (U9400, 8GB Ram, 128 GB SSD). During this time ... I bought two more X301 :-D (just in case) ;-) I had before buying this model some other HP laptops, Dell, older Thinkpad models (T43p, T61p, X61s) but this X301 is for me the perfect machine for work. Like Bronsky (best regards) I use a laptop for writing texts (legal letters) and browsing the internet.

Recently, I was thinking about changing my laptop. I was looking for information on the internet and it turns out that this model did not have its successor. It's a pity Lenovo. I was thinking about buying the X1 or X1 Carbon model but ... I do not know.

Later, I seriously thought about what I needed a laptop for and I realized that I did not need a new unit. Battery life (about 2 hours) is enough for me, X301 keyboard is great, screen is not IPS but it is enough for normal work (THANK YOU for the link to change the color palette - makes an incredible difference !!! Thanks X600 for working with this color palette !!!). I have work on Windows 7, MS Office 2010 and ... I realized that I do not need anything more to write.

All the time I can not believe that this ultrabook from 2009, has so perfectly overcome the test of time. I hope that it will serve me for a few more years, and if it falls ... I have two in stock ;-)

Greetings to all users of the X300 / X301 model :)

P.S
    Best regards the creator of the site http://x301.mcdonnelltech.com/ - great knowledge for the holder of the X301.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    johnmcdonnell and shawross like this.
  10. shawross

shawross Newbie

Reputations: