Second-hand thinkpad x301 owner's thread.

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bronsky, Aug 7, 2012.

1. DonGrinch

DonGrinch Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys!
    I am new to this forum and the X301. I have purchased it just recently with Win7 installed. I wanted the Wín 10 (dont ask me why), so I tried the upgrade, which went ok until automatically installing either the Intel graphics or the Intel managment engine after first boot, which led to a non working display. After not being able to stop it from reinstalling automatically I tried the Windows safeboot and its resetfactory defaults, which broke the Win 10 altogether. So I installed Win 10 from scratch and now face different problems. I have spend many hours, trying to resolve them, but no succes. So here they are:

1) There is a PCI serial port driver missing - I cant find any driver for that and I dont know what device it might be (its not the Intel managment engine, asi I installed that one ok now)
    2) I cant install the touchpad drivers correctly, so the touchpad works but no scrolling, no multiple fingers, no nothing. It is listed as a PS 2 mouse pointing device and thats all. I tried installing some ultranav drivers, but it still shows only as a ps2 pointing device
    3) I flashed the modded bios just fine and installed Throttlestop to overlock my U9400. Do I need to start the app every time and keep it running? And It just goes to some ca 1520 MHz, not the 1600MHz it should be.

Does anyone have any clue on how to solve my problems? Thank you very much guys, I am desperate and maybe installing Win 7 would be a better option

2. johnmcdonnell

johnmcdonnell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) Is the missing PCI serial port driver possibly the fingerprint reader? If so, you can install the Windows 7 drivers available here. Just run the installer in Windows 7 compatibility mode.
    2) Windows 10 will normally install its own drivers for the touchpad on the X301. Try uninstalling any Lenovo versions of the Ultranav drivers and then let Windows download and install it's own drivers. This has worked for me with the Synaptics version of the touchpad.
    3) I believe you do need to run ThrottleStop after each restart in order to enable overclocking. There's a guide here with a lot of good information about using ThrottleStop.

Hope this helps. You've may have already seen it, but I've compiled a few other X301 resources that you might find useful here: x301.mcdonnelltech.com

3. DonGrinch

DonGrinch Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi and thanks! The fingerprint reader is already installed. Can you tell me as what device Windows recognizes your touchpad? Mine still only as a PS2 device. Can I somehow tell if I have a synaptics touchpad or another one? And thanks for the link to the page, I followed its instrucitons before. But there is no mention about problems with the serial port device or the touchpad problém.

4. johnmcdonnell

Reputations:
    The touchpad shows in the Device Manager as "Synaptics Pointing Device" with the drivers that installed automatically with a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Here's a screenshot of the Device Manager.

Perhaps the easiest way to confirm which touchpad you have is to boot from a live Linux USB and see if two-finger scrolling is possible - it will work with a Synaptics model but not with Alps.

Not sure what the missing PCI serial port is.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  5. shawross

shawross Newbie

Reputations:
    To DonGrinch

I have Windows 10 running on my X301 U9400 and have no known problems. I did a clean install and it went very smoothly. I am fairly sure on my install it installed the Intel "Display Adapter" automatically and there has been no problems. As a side note I have a spinning drive a 500 Gig WD Blue in my Ultra Bay so I run in Compatible Mode.

Your Issues

1) I have "PCI Serial Port" driver missing also but I haven't worried about it. I read somewhere that the Lenovo Update Software corrects this but the less Lenovo software I have installed the better IMO.

2) I have the touchpad disabled in bios and I get "Thinkpad UltraNav" come up under Mice and other pointing devices in Device Manager. I don't use the Finger Print Reader so I get "Unknown device" also.

3) I have Throttle Stop installed in Windows 10 as I do on my Windows 7 SSD. In Windows 7 I had it running on startup but I decided to just park it in the Task Bar and run it as needed and I do the same in W 10.
    Mine runs at 1596 MHz which is 8 x 199.5 MHz obviously. On my Main Throttle Stop Display I only have "BD PROCHOT" ticked other than the"Set Multiplier".

Goodluck with your install and I would recommend Windows 10 on the X301. Especially with basically everything switched off inc Cortana and all the Privacy settings. Windows 10 is currently using only 16.1 Gig of my SSD.

Sonara75 and Bronsky like this.
  6. Sonara75

Sonara75 Newbie

Reputations:
  7. johnmcdonnell

Reputations:
    If I'm understanding you correctly you:
    1. Want to install Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    2. Intended to install the Whitelist removed + SLIC 2.1 BIOS
    3. Instead installed the Dual-IDA support + Whitelist removed + SLIC 2.1 BIOS
    4. Now want to revert back to the stock BIOS

Is there a reason you want the Whitelist removed + SLIC 2.1 BIOS instead of the Dual-IDA support + Whitelist removed + SLIC 2.1 BIOS?

Either one will allow you to install the Ultimate-N 6300 card. There is no disadvantage to using the BIOS with Dual-IDA support - you don't need to use these additional features if you don't want to.

8. Sonara75

Sonara75 Newbie

Reputations:
    I want to install only Whitelist removed+SLIC2.1 BIOS , but download and install wrong file , install Dual -IDA support +Whitelist removed +SLIC2.1 BIOS . My X301 is hot ,need to change termal paste and use TrottleStop .I dont want this ! I want to unninstall this , back to stock BIOS ,and after this install Whitelist removed +SLIC 2.1

9. johnmcdonnell

Reputations:
    The Dual-IDA supported BIOS should not result in higher temperatures unless you actively set both cores of the CPU to run simultaneously with ThrottleStop.

But if you prefer to just have the basic Whitelist removed + SLIC 2.1 BIOS, you can just run the installer for that. This will completely remove the Dual-IDA version and replace it with the basic version. There is no need to revert back to the stock BIOS first since you have already installed a version of the 3.16 BIOS.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  10. Sonara75

Sonara75 Newbie

Reputations:
    I run installer and install , my U 9400 CPU core speed is 1595,33 MHz its normal ?