Second-hand thinkpad x301 owner's thread.

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bronsky, Aug 7, 2012.

1. DavidModic

DavidModic Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. First-time poster, long time reader of the forum.
    I used to own an x300, years ago. Bought it in 2008 and sold in 2010. I've had thinkpads what seems like forever. Before the kodachi, I had a 370, T40, T42, T43, T60 and x60s. After I sold the x300, I had a T400s, x220, T420s and X1 Carbon. I sold the Carbon after my job bought me a retina macbook pro. So, I am now thinkpadless

2. DavidModic

DavidModic Newbie

Reputations:
    ... For the first time in fifteen years. My wife still has a thinkpad and had one for the last ten years. So it is not like there are no thinkpads around in our house (atm there are two - x200s and x230. Both owned by my wife).

I can honestly say that no thinkpad left a more lasting impression on me than x300. I still think about mine from time to time. A friend bought it and it is now owned by his wife, so I still see it from time to time. Like a shared custody thing :).

Bronsky likes this.
  3. DavidModic

DavidModic Newbie

Reputations:
    So, I am now financially able to afford stuff I do not strictly need. Thus, I went and bought an x301 off eBay yesterday. Just to have and use as a second laptop if my rmbpro kicks the bucket.

I couldn't find any 1.6GHz ones, but I do recall that even on x300 the 1.2GHz CPU worked ok, unless I did complex computations, when it would lag a bit. That is why I sold it, actually. But now I have other machines for that, so I can have my toy and eat my cake too.

4. DavidModic

DavidModic Newbie

Reputations:
    I then went and bought a 160Gb x18-M (to replace the original 120g ssd inside). And the replacement hdd tray to swap with the optical drive, which I do not need at all, the dvd I mean,
    And 2x4Gb ddr3 1333 sodimms. And a replacement battery.

5. DavidModic

DavidModic Newbie

Reputations:
    And then I went and read this whole thread. From what I gather, I need a bios that would:
    - allow me to use 8gb / 1333mhz of ram (whitelist bios)
    - increase the clockspeed by 200MHz. (Dual IDA)
    - enable sata II (mdl bios)

And i need the custom ICC profile, I guess.

I was hoping for a little help from you guys. Is there a bios image that does all of the above and can anyone provide a link (I am winking at you Bronsky :) )? I understand that x600 has moved on.

I would really appreciate it as all the mdl + dual ida links to the 3.16 bios are dead in this and in my digital life threads.

Sorry for spamming, but I understand that I need five posts before I can pm, so... :). I also don't mind posting one of my mails on this forum.

I would really appreciate it, if anyone could either pm me with dropbox (or similar) links or simply email them to me at: david.modic7673[at]gmail.com
    As usual please replace the [at] with @.

Thank you, much appreciated. If there is any interest I can let you know how I get on.

David

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Interesting way to get your 5 posts. I've sent the links.

7. defizr

defizr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all. Newbie here. At the moment I have one of the original Intel Atom netbooks that I bought to take on holiday 6 years ago. It's OK but it's a bit small and a bit slow. If I could get a reasonable X301 from ebay or somewhere would it make a suitable machine to replace my netbook?

8. Furydrone

Furydrone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It will be noticeably faster than Intel Atom, especially if you buy one with SSD. It is also a bit bigger. Take time to look at screen specs, most of Intel Atom netbooks come with lower resolution and much lower pixel density. For me personally x301 is a bit uncomfortable for writing and other stuff becouse of small pixel pitch and overall bad screen quality. You can also consider t400s and x201, which are a bit bigger/smaller than x300 respectively.

Bronsky likes this.
  9. defizr

defizr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for that. I'll have a look at the machines you mention.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    The only thing I would take issue with in Furydrone's post is the comment about the low pixel density making the notebook uncomfortable for writing. I use my X301 for writing 6 to 8 hours a day and longer at times. I write legal documents primarily and I love the screen for that purpose. Because of the tight viewing angles, you may wind up adjusting the display quite a bit, but the display is far better than a net book display. I would also consider an X220. The IPS display is probably easier on the eyes than the X301's display. The "T" series is not comparable. They are tanks compared to the X301. My office has a few T410 and 420s. Nobody takes them on the road.