Second-hand thinkpad x301 owner's thread.

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bronsky, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Thanks.:thumbsup:

2. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    Sad news guys, the AFFS panel does not fit in the X301. It is not frameless and removing the frame will result in panel destruction. Also, the connector does not even fit physically, so no chance of getting that to work either.

Basically, it's over.

Sorry for getting your hopes up so high. I'm really curious though how Leo Kim did it. Perhaps one day I will learn his secrets.

3. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    Nothing for you to be sorry for...it was an excellent idea that never reached fruition, not at this point in the game anyway. At least you haven't destroyed anything during the exploratory stage, which is more than I could say for myself over the past decade or so...

4. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    Uhm yeah, about that...

(I might need a new Boe Hydis because mine fell apart)

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Who's Leo Kim?

Better to have tried and fail then to never to have tried at all.

6. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    Basically, he is a god when it comes to ThinkPad screen modding. He was the guy who showed the world it is possible to put an AFFS screen into the X301 and the reason why I tried this whole thing in the first place. He is actually well known among many ThinkPadders.

This is his website or something: http://thinkpads.kr/xe/

This is the X301 AFFS screen mod post: gallery01 - X301 wide-viewing Angle LCD...

He's got plenty of modded ThinkPads.

Sadly though, he's the kind of guy who never answers his mail.

However, his work is god-like, his ThinkPads have the best screens out there. He has a T420 with Full HD IPS screen and recently added a X201 with Full HD IPS screen to his collection as can be seen here: http://thinkpads.kr/xe/index.php?mid=REVIEW01&document_srl=173817 and here: http://thinkpads.kr/xe/index.php?mid=REVIEW01&document_srl=174715

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he ripped that BOE Hydis apart, and put it back together piece by piece and simply squeezed it into the X301. Even though this would theoretically be impossible. He's Korean, so he's got screen modding in his blood.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Didn't know this was a Korean trait.:D

BTW, put your profile in my X301 and, if I'm not imagining it, the display seems significantly improved. Especially the blacks. They seem a lot deeper than the stock Lenovo profile. Thanks again.

8. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    I didn't either, but people keep saying it so it must be true. Apparently being Korean makes you excellent at screen mods. Whatever.

Anyway, regarding the color profile, your welcome! It removes the horrible bluish cast of the X301 screen. The screen shows very nice colors when the profile is active.

As for the X301 screen mod, it may be over for now but I haven't given up. Leo Kim has in fact inspired me again. If you don't find a panel that fits take one with a different physical size! You see, when looking for a replacement screen, people always assume they need the same size as the current screen and start looking for it. But often, such replacement screens do not exist. They are either too big, too small, or have a different aspect ratio.

However, who ever said you can't use them anyway? In case you still just don't get what I'm talking about, well, I'm thinking of putting the X220 IPS screen into the X301. That's right, sounds crazy right? Perhaps, but since it is physically smaller, I will have plenty of space. Also, it is frameless and extremely thin as well.

And in case you were wondering if I'm crazy trading the 1440x900 resolution for those pesky 1366x768 then just be told that the LG 12,5" Full HD IPS screen is becoming more wide-spread with every day that passes. It will soon be available in a Dell Ultrabook whose name I don't remember. But that's not important anyway. It is currently available in the Dell XPS 12.

I think I'm on to something here...

9. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Found these things mentioned on one of his pages:

T420 FHD 13.3 (Leokim)
    W700 8-bit RGB LED (by Leokim)
    X201 11.6 FHD (by Leokim)

:D

10. Bluebird20

Bluebird20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, so I just received my X301. When I opened it up and held it, I was amazed. Truly amazing laptop in almost all the ways. As you guys were saying, it feels top notch. The rubberized finish on the palm rest along with the rest of the laptop is excellent.

The sound on this laptop is the best I've heard on a laptop. It is full and sounds rich. Very impressive.

The only con so far seems to be the screen. I am getting slight eye strain. Maybe the high PPI has something to do with it. I need to to increase the text size a bit.

600X, I would really appreciate if you can also provide me with your color profile. It's not to say this is a bad screen, it's just that the viewing angles are terrible. But the rest of the laptop seems to make up for it.