Second-hand thinkpad x301 owner's thread.

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bronsky, Aug 7, 2012.

1. v3dev

v3dev Newbie

Reputations:
    OK, trying again...

By the way, how many display variants were there in the x301, and how many do you guys have color profiles for?

2. piras

piras Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi , possible to get you to PM me the color profile and Bios mod for the X301. I have to say that, having owned many Thinkpads , the X301 is the best all around model I have ever owned :) Thanks for all the info you have shared in the thread.

3. piras

piras Newbie

Reputations:
    Question: Which after market battery do you guys recommend as the original ones run a little high?

4. piras

piras Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh yes, also, is Windows 8 recommended, and if yes, where can I find a reliable list of drivers?

5. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    There is only one display.

I can recommend Win 8, I mostly used the Win 7 drivers and some X220 Win 8 drivers.

piras likes this.
  6. pspNR

pspNR Newbie

Reputations:
    My X301 has been out of commission for a while. I was getting repeated BSODs so I just stopped using it. I tried everything to get rid of the BSOD including formatting the system completely starting new but to no avail. I am wondering if my hard disk is corrupted. What's the best option to get a new HDD put into this?

7. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    I would do some system checks first, do a memory test to ensure that it's not the RAM modules failing. Download Memtest86+ and let it run on startup. If that passes you could then verify the HDD condition by using SMART reading programs such as CrystalDiskInfo for example.

If the hard drive is on the way out then I would recommend getting the latest mSATA SSD + 1.8" SATA adapter to replace the ailing drive (like mine) as generally its much easier to get on todays market and typically it is faster than the stock Lenovo 1.8" SSD drives.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Funny, I've had the first glitches ever on my X301 the past few weeks. I've had it just shut down. No BSOD. It just shuts down. It's happened 3 times. All 3 times were on battery but that might not mean anything. Once, I got a bios screen and no activity from the SSD, which made me suspect a weakening SSD. Since I have the original one, it could be time for an upgrade. Was also thinking it could be integrated graphics shutting down the unit too. What display driver does everyone have. If I change over, it would be a good time to think about windows 8.

9. pspNR

pspNR Newbie

Reputations:
    I am kind of worried that it might be my integrated graphics failing too that's causing the BSODs. I dont recall if my machine just shut off without a BSOD since its been quite a qhile since I used it last..

10. ZyXELis

ZyXELis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would check RAM and HDD first (as previously suggested) as failing video chip is very unlikely. Do a memtest and for a hard drive- a heavy I/O test (the SMART feature will not show anything useful on SSD disk). It might be SSD (flash resource) goingin out of the window...