Second-hand thinkpad x301 owner's thread.

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bronsky, Aug 7, 2012.

1. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    I agree, the X301 chassis is simply amazing, however, it's extremely pricey as well. Keep in mind that these things used to sell for over 3000$, depending on the configuration. With people complaining about spending 1000$ on current ThinkPads, I don't see an X302 happening anytime soon. At least the X301 can be heavily modded in various ways.

Speaking of, I have found an unbelievably cheap deal on the Boe Hydis mod screen for my X301. It is currently on sale for 50€! Let me repeat that. 50 bucking €. And yes, the seller is in Germany, so all I have to pay is a few euros on postage. I am ordering it tonight, along with the LCD cable. In a matter of days the modded cable should be finished and ready to be tested.

Price paid for a brand new X301 Flexview package: 75€ + a tip for the guy who's doing the soldering (he really deserves it)

If I'm lucky I'll have a Flexview upgraded X301 by next week.:cool:

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

3. Bluebird20

Bluebird20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, I've been trying to find a good deal on eBay for a while and just cannot seem to get one. I'm looking for a 14" and under Thinkpad with a price of <$280. Some of the X301's meet this criteria. I'm just wondering if this laptop can play HD movies on Youtube and Netflix with ease. I like the size of this laptop but the T410 also has similar prices. Just wondering if some of the performance in the usual tasks that is lost by getting the X301 might be justified. Thanks.

4. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    X301 is a better offering in the respect of size, but T410 is a more upgradeable and powerful machine. It also sports a better screen - not that *any* of these LCDs are anything to write home about - and is definitely a lot quieter under load than X301.

If I were picking up one of them as my only laptop, it would be T410. On the other hand, no ThinkPad collection should be without X301.

5. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    Now that's something that makes silly old me downright jealous...

Best of luck and keep us posted.

6. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    It will easily do Full HD, partially thanks to GPU acceleration.

The X301 screen is in fact, contrary to common beliefs, "better" than the T410 displays. The catch however is that it needs to be calibrated. If you wish I can provide you with my color profile. Viewing angles, contrast etc. are roughly the same.

This is a comparison between the X301 and the X220 IPS display. I suggest you look away if you have a pony phobia:

[​IMG][​IMG]

The T410 allows the user to swap the CPU, but apart from that the X301 is just as upgradable. It's true that the X301 is not as quiet as it could be, but at least it stays really cool. You can use TPFC to switch off the fan. I only advise doing this if you have renewed the thermal paste, Lenovo's thermal paste completely dries up within in a short time in the X301.

Thanks, I have already ordered the panel but the guy who wanted to solder my adapter has become unavailable. However, I might have already found someone else who is willing to do the job.

7. Bluebird20

Reputations:
    The image quality between the X301 and X220 seems to be similar from the photos. I appreciate you posting them. I've heard some quality issues regarding on the T410 on these forums, such as poor construction etc. The specs are faster on the T410 but the weight might be around 1.5 to 2 lbs. heavier if I'm not mistaken. I think the 13.3" size should be good. I've used the X230 before and I found the 12.5" screen size to be small for long usage. Also, the X301 might get better battery life than the T410, maybe 1-2 hours more. Not sure about this.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the X301. I should just hurry up and get it :D.

Thanks for the great help.

Update:

Just bought the X301 with a 64GB SSD and Windows XP. I don't mind W/XP at all and since I plan to use this laptop for streaming and occasional typing, the 64GB should be OK for now. I can upgrade later. The price was $250 plus shipping.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Congratulations. You're going to love your X301. Nice price too. I've noticed that they're becoming harder to find too. I had to buy a T410s for my office last time as I could not find an X301 that I liked. The X301 is a far better notebook IMO, if you don't need the raw power of an I5 Arrandale CPU. I find the T410s display to be far brighter and with more contrast than the X301 but I have not calibrated the 301's display. Battery life on the T410s is abysmal, however, compared to the nearly 8 hours I can get with a 6 cell main, 3 cell OD Bay and spare main. @600x - any chance I could get a copy of your profile?

Congrats again. Now you know why I started this thread.

9. Bluebird20

Reputations:
    I've been looking at this thread for a while and have been interested in the X301 though I didn't really need it. I have a desktop and a T530 but now that I want to have a laptop at work, I decided to get something smaller. The T410 interested me at first but they probably weigh close to the T530 and get so-so battery life. The X301 seems to fit well. Your review helped. :)

I wonder how the battery life might be. The SSD might help with that along with the lower wattage CPU. I'm sure I'll have more questions after I receive it.

Thank you Bronsky :)

10. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    The X301 has an extremely low power consumption, however, its thin chassis does not allow high capacity batteries. A new 6c with 43Wh should last you about 4-5h of light surfing. Since the X301 is so awesome, you can also add a second battery by replacing the DVD-drive as Bronsky has done. It should add another 2-3h.

Regarding the display, it actually shows better colors than my X220 IPS screen. In order to do so it needs to be calibrated. Feel free to try the profile I am currently using Bronsky. I have uploaded it to MediaFire: link removed by author