Second-hand thinkpad x301 owner's thread.

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bronsky, Aug 7, 2012.

1. twangdai

twangdai Newbie

Reputations:
    i have recently bought a second hand x301 in good condition. I have been using a t60p with a 1600x1200 ips panel for about six years now. The biggest draw back of switching to x301 is the screen. I would be very happy to see some mod to upgrade x301's screen to a ips screen of an equal or higher resolution.

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'm afraid no such screen exists.

3. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    There is only the Fujitsu T5010 screen, which is an AFFS. Downside is the resolution of 1280x800. I will swap the screen when I feel like it, but at the moment I want to enjoy the 1440x900 pixels.

Yes, I indeed have an X301 now:

IMG_1326.jpg
    (Click to enlarge)

It has a NEW German Keyboard. The old one was already shiny. What dazzles me the most is the fact that it is rubberized. Now how's that for a change? A rubberized Keyboard!

Also, I replaced the damaged speaker grills with custom metal ones.

I'm still waiting for my SSD to arrive, I ordered a new Crucial C300 from the US, might take a while to arrive.

4. turqoisegirl08

turqoisegirl08 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @600X. What is your impression of the overall feel of the X301? I am curious about the X301 and have heard good things about the detail on it such as the rubberized palm rest and a better set of speakers compared to other ThinkPads.

5. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    I'll give my short impression on it.

The first thing you will notice is its light weight. When you pick it up, it feels even lighter than my X220, which at 1,4Kg is already in Netbook range.

Nevertheless, it's still extremely sturdy, on the inside it looks like the T60 with a magnesium (I think) Rollcage. Feels very stable.

The overall feel it gives me is a very, and I mean very high end one. The rubber coating is not like the one on the X200 or anything, it is actual rubber like on the 600X. But, it's much more scratch resistant. It's really a joy to hold it in your hands.

Sometimes I feel tempted to just touch it the whole day.

Apart from the LCD cover it is completely rubberized, so yes, the Palmrest is rubberized, the bottom side is Magnesium (thanks lead_org), but it is slightly rubberized too. Heck, even the battery is rubberized! And have I mentioned the rubberized Keyboard yet?

Speaking of, it has a very good tactile feel. Keys have a very low sound, just like in the old days. I prefer it to my X220 Keyboard.

The Speakers are top-notch as well, I only got to test them using Ubuntu, but boy, the volume those things can reach! Sound is very filling, you can actually hear the bass. I'd say they are on par with the 600X Speakers.

Just a few words about the screen. It is very sharp, sharper than my X220 IPS. The resolution of 1440x900 is a big plus and very comfortable to work with.

Black however looks more like gray and viewing angles are at best 5° vertically and about 45° horizontally. You can view it from 179° horizontally, but it will be half distorted.

Colors on the other hand, are BETTER than on my X220 IPS after a calibration. Colors such as pink or purple are much stronger, almost as if it had a wider color Gamut.

These colors look very dirty and muted on the IPS. I was really surpised.

6. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    The bottom case of the ThinkPad X301 is magnesium.

7. turqoisegirl08

turqoisegirl08 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @600X. Nice summary :thumbsup: I had a 600X for a short-time 2 years ago. I was impressed with the build and really enjoyed the speakers as well. The only contention I had was I did not know what to do with it! I had 3 other ThinkPads at the time and I did not want a large 'ThinkPad Burger!' :D I eventually sold mine to a forum member at thinkpads(dot)com. If the X301 feels as sturdy as the 600X I am even more curious about one for sure!

8. twangdai

twangdai Newbie

Reputations:
    I have been using TPfancontrol to control my fan speed as well as to monitor the overall system temperature, but recently I have came across something strange. Basically every temperature sensors are normal, except the one for BUS, which sometimes seems to increase at a slow and steady rate, regardless of the fan speed. Just wondering, anyone who uses tpfancontrol experiences the same issue? Thanks in advance.

9. dgm_sf

dgm_sf Newbie

Reputations:
    Have you replaced the screen on your x301 yet? How easy is it? I just cracked the screen on mine and need a replacement.

10. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    My SSD hasn't even arrived yet (thanks a lot US First Class mail) and I haven't worked on it since I replaced the Speaker grills.

I won't be exchanging the screen any time soon, simply because I already have an IPS in my X220 and I really want to enjoy those 1440x900 pixels on the standard screen.

Replacing it is very difficult, you will need to solder your own connector.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015