Second Alienware 17 R4, Shutdown Problem

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by QrafTee, May 29, 2017.

  1. QrafTee

    QrafTee Notebook Enthusiast

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    49
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    15
    I'm running into an issue with my replacement Alienware 17 R4. The first one I received had a Brazilian power supply and a stuck pixel; it was replaced with this one. Before I head to Dell (or go through the long process of reinstalling the OS) again, I was just wondering if anyone has ran into this and fixed it.

    When I shut down or restart the computer, it hangs at the end of the shut down. All apps shut down, OS shuts down, keyboard LEDs are off, but the Alienware power button remains on. I have to hard shut down at the end. I've tried using the Troubleshoot Windows Update feature, turning off Fastboot, and trying a different power supply. But no go, it just randomly hangs at the end of a shut down.
     
  2. Vasudev

    Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

    Reputations:
    350
    Messages:
    2,188
    Likes Received:
    930
    Trophy Points:
    131
    Any third party Anti Virus? Worth checking the quarantine of your AV.
     
  3. QrafTee

    QrafTee Notebook Enthusiast

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    49
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    15
    No, fresh install onto the NVME drive. Only AV is Windows Defender.
     
  4. MogRules

    MogRules Notebook Deity

    Reputations:
    815
    Messages:
    1,232
    Likes Received:
    405
    Trophy Points:
    101
    Mine does it once in awhile and I can't figure out why. 80% of the time it shuts down as expected. The other 20% it takes longer, maybe 3-5 minutes to complete the shut down.
     
  5. Fajo

    Fajo Notebook Consultant

    Reputations:
    8
    Messages:
    118
    Likes Received:
    35
    Trophy Points:
    41
    I understand people say they have shut fast boot off. But if you have not, it might be worth it when upgrading drivers or doing first time installs. I have had fastboot more then once screw the system up when a fresh format was done. I turn it back on after all the drivers are installed rebooted and working fine.
     
    Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

    Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

    Reputations:
    350
    Messages:
    2,188
    Likes Received:
    930
    Trophy Points:
    131
    @QrafTee: Disable Hibernate using powercfg -h off in elevated command prompt.
     
Loading...

Share This Page