Searching for a productivity/gaming laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Gordon Banks, Nov 27, 2018.

?

Which suits my needs the best

1. The described i7-7700hq model

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. The described i7-8750h model

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. MSI i7-8750h described model

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Asus describee Ryzen 5 model

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Banks

Gordon Banks Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone!
    Recently my old computer stopped working and I decided it was time to search for a new one.
    For several reasons I have a tight budget , I am not in the USA so it tightens my options more, I found a store where I could buy a decent computer and i’m Between these 2 models.

I tried to find one with both th 8th gen Intel and the 1060 but it was a little over my budget and I can’t afford it.
    The uses I will give it will be:
    Gaming
    A lot of Video game design and programming (deciding between Unity and Unreal but let’s say unreal because it requieres more specs)
    A considerable amount of photoshop and Substance painter for textures
    Blender and Sculptris for modelling and some very little renders with blender
    Once in a while Sony Vegas
    And audio editing software along with web surfing and university stuff

My options are:
    A 7700hq model
    Probably a Razer Blade or a Y720 or Helios 300
    This models have almost the same specs
    I7-7700hq
    16gb RAM
    1060 6gb
    128gb SSD
    1TB HDD

And a i7-8750h model (Omen 15 or Dell g3 17)

I7-8750h
    8gb RAM
    1050 Ti 4gb
    128gb SSD
    1TB HDD

Appreciate your Help folks

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

I think this a good comparison for you: Lenovo Legion Y720 vs Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-571 vs Dell G3 3579 vs HP Omen 15t.
    A considerable amount of photoshop and Substance painter for textures - this is a problem for all these laptops.
    As you can see from my comparison, the Helios 300 has the best sRGB display, but desperately needs calibration.

Otherwise, I can break it down like this:
    - Lenovo Y720 probably the best of all these laptops regarding build quality and cooling, I highly recommend it. However, the display is not that great.
    - Acer Helios 300, has poor processor cooling, and if you use it intensively, it might throttle. It's not nearly as bad as it is for the 8750H version, but it;'s still there.
    - Dell G3 is a great laptop for its price, but it has poor build quality and poor display + the GTX 1050 Ti. I would say you can drop this one from your list.
    - HP Omen 15t I think is a great choice, but I would rather favour a laptop with a 7700HQ processor and GTX 1060 vs one with a GTX 1050Ti + 8750H. The Omen would have been maybe a much better choice if you bought it from HP with the 144Hz display.

That being said, I would go with the Y720.

3. Gordon Banks

Reputations:
    About the display I can probably get used to it, as long as it works, in that case Y720 might be the best option.

I thought the same about the G3, it’s build quality seems that it’s not the best for intensive work due to heat management.

Omen seems better, it's downsides being the 1050ti and 8b RAM only.

I'm considering another option that I saw yesterday.

A ryzen 5 1600
    rx 580 4gb
    8gb RAM
    No SSD
    1TB HDD

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-...Radeon-RX-580-FHD-Laptop-Review.281526.0.html

My concern with it is that I can't upgrade it kn the near future , so no SSD and 8gb Ram, and since it has a desktop CPU it has some heat issues that will get worse with time, along with the fact that it has gard to upgarde RAM and I would be stuck with 8gb of RAM. Battery life is not very importnant to me since I normally am in places where I can plug it.
    Would you consider it as a good option as it is?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  4. Gordon Banks

Reputations:
    I saw another post in here where I saw this laptop
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GV62-8RE-i5-8300H-GTX-1060-FHD-Laptop-Review.309114.0.html just with a i7-8750h and no ssd
    So it would be a
    i7-8750h
    8gb RAM
    No SSD
    1TB HDD 5200RPM
    1060 3GB

Would it be worth it? Remember i can't upgrade sadly so it would stay as it is, without SSD and with 8gb RAM. What do you think?

5. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    MSI GP63/GP73 is my go to advice. With extra money pay for repaste and thermal pads upgrade.

6. Gordon Banks

Reputations:
    I would love it, sadly it is over my budget (both of them)

7. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The Asus GL702ZC you mentioned has pretty good specs for its price. However, the laptop is prone to overheating. It just can't keep up with that Ryzen processor. Battery life is abysmal. It's only redeeming element is its display, which is better than everything you have listed so far.

The MSI GV62 8RE looks ok on paper but has a frail chassis, much worse than the GP series. Also, thermal management is problematic, and the laptop seems to stutter while gaming. On top of that the 8300H perform similarity to the 7700HQ, so between the Y720 and this MSI, I would still go with the Lenovo.
    The display is also poor on the MSI.

8. Gordon Banks

Reputations:
    I don’t care much about battery life, even then the Asus is a no go?

The MSI I saw in the other post had an i7-8750h, not a 8300h, now that changes things?

9. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am not saying the Asus is not go. That Asus is an exotic machine, few people bought. On paper, it looks like a nice machine if you don't care about battery life. Maybe if you repaste the processor and video card, it might turn into an excellent machine for longterm use.
    For the MSI 8750H would probably make things worse since the 8750H runs a lot hotter than the 8300H.

10. Gordon Banks

Reputations:
    And without upgrading anything? (No repaste or SSD/RAM upgrades ) The ASUS would be better compared to Y720?

About theMSI, so between MSI and Y720 ,the Lenovo wins?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.