Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD w/ built-in 4GB SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Charles P. Jefferies, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unresolved

Unresolved Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    With the new XT drives for the Seagate 500GB hybrid drive, how much of a difference would it make upgrading from a 750GB 7200RPM hard drive? And would it even affect gaming, or only boot times?

2. unixfool

unixfool Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From my understanding, it may improve games' load times as well as boot times.

3. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In regards to XT (BTW, consider the 2nd Gen XT 2/ 8GB SSD):

a) If you install an operating system on it, it will drastically increase boot times.
    b) If you use applications that are "bottlenecked" by disk I/O from static data within files, it will increase access time on the most frequently accessed files (up to the point it fills up the SSD cache).

Since most of today's games are mostly bottlenecked by GPU, it will speed up the "starting" of your game and maybe some animation/cut scenes (as those files may be read from the SSD portion of the XT), but won't really do too much in terms of game play as those are more GPU (and CPU to a lesser degree) intensive.

HTH

4. Unresolved

Unresolved Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ehh, I guess I'll pass on the hybrid drive. While faster load times and boot times would be nice, I don't think they're worth $40 to me. And I wouldn't get the 8GB hybrid drive because it costs more money than I'm willing to spend on the upgrade. Thanks for the answers :)

5. govtdog

govtdog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought a used 500XT for my son's laptop and he churns away with it and so far so good. Messed around recently with his laptop and it is much faster than my standard HD unit even though mine is an I7 while his is a I5 processor laptop.

6. Kallogan

Kallogan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I saw some tests stating that a ssd could improve a little the minimum frame rate. But marginally. Momentus XT won't do that i think. It's more about incresing boot times and frequently used softwares access.

I have one. I love it. I don't regret my 60gb ssd at all.

7. pbc

pbc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, hopefully third one is a charm. Just got notification it is shipping back to me.

BTW, is it recco'd to install Windows on this drive in ACHI mode (like SSD's) or IDE?

8. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  9. Leimi

Leimi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have a Seagate Momentus XT 500Gb since ~1.5y on my Thinkpad T61.
    Since a few months, I get lots of "micro freezes"... kinda like lots of people with a Momentus XT.

I did several HD Tune benchmarks and the results are really weird.
    It caps at ~85mo/s and there are a lot of down spikes on the graph: the HDD goes down at around 5mo/s for a second a so, several times during the benchmark.

The particular thing is when I connect my HDD on another computer and do the benchmark, it is totally normal: it caps at ~105mo/s for an average read of 80mo/s, and there are no spike at all. All like on day one on my laptop.
    Also, no matter if it is on my laptop or my other computer, the Seagate diagnostic tools says the drive has no error. HD Tune however shows that there is one too many End-to-End error...

I did a full erase on the disk, updated the disk firmware, updated and set back to defaults the laptop BIOS... and no luck.

What do you people think?

10. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just wanted to chime in and say that I have this drive and I recently upgraded the firmware to SD28 and wow things sure do seem faster!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.