Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD w/ built-in 4GB SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Charles P. Jefferies, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    From Seagate's web site, it still looks like SD28 is the latest version. However, to be a little blunt, if you want SSD boot times, you may want to consider an SSD, as some prices are now less than $1/GB.

The answer for this depends on what you will use the drive for. I for instance, have about 125GB of libraries for images, music, software, and read-only virtual machines. I'm using the Momentus XT to server those files, and for most often used files, the SSD vastly outperforms the older drive (and slower) where these things used to reside. The XT is more than happy to work in this scenario.

However, if you are going to use the drive where you mostly do writes (video editing, copying files to the drive, etc.) The XT will behave just about the same as a WD Scorpio Black.

Also note, it has bee suggested by Seagate that this summer there will be a [FW] update for the 2nd Gen drive that will start caching WRITES to the SSD portion as well. Dunno what that will mean for overall performance, but if it does come out, a lot of us are waiting to see what exactly that means for WRITE performance of the drive.

2. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i just installed the xt drives. boot times rival that of ssd toe to toe. about a second or two slower. it takes 3 minutes to boot with my 7200rpm 750gb drives and 30 seconds with the xt 750!:D

edit; with over 100 procesess that is.

3. jclausius

Reputations:
    Exactly. The XT is just a tad off of SSD boot times. However, you said you craved SSD boot times, and if you really, really wanted those SSD boot times, you would need to just get an SSD as the XT will be slower. But then again, we're only talking a couple of seconds here.

4. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    600gb ssd drive that boots in 28 seconds from windows start screen = $1,000

750gb hybrid that boots in 30 seconds from windows start screen = $200

:eek:

5. jclausius

Reputations:
    Why would you buy a $1000 SSD, when you can get a really good 256 GB SSD for < $200 (Crucial M4)?

256GB SSD boot in 28 seconds = $199 USD
    750GB XT boot in 30 seconds = $150 USD

If you need the drive space or are looking for a better $$/GB ratio, that is one thing, but in your post, you were craving "ssd boot times."

6. crashnburn

crashnburn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Only a 2 second difference? Damn!

What about launching of other apps.. Frequently opening Windows Explorer etc?

7. jclausius

Reputations:
    If an app ends up in the 8GB SSD portion, times lags just a bit behind the SSD as well.

My experience has been close to what these videos show -

Seagate Momentus XT - YouTube
    Momentus XT 750 Vs. SSD .mov - YouTube

8. pbc

pbc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How have people's long term reliability been with this drive? I have one of the original 500gb XT drives from mid-2010 when they came out (IIRC).

It failed about 1 year in, sent it back to Seagate and received a "new" or "refurbed" drive in return.

That one just failed this past Sunday. So I'm RMA'ing it again back to Seagate.

I don't consider myself a power user, and keep my drives/computers in pretty darn good condition with little abuse, keep the crap that's loaded on them to a minimum, etc. Use the laptop maybe a couple of hours a week.

So somewhat dismayed with the reliability thus far and debating whether I should bother reinstalling this drive when I get it back. I know all brands fail, but twice in 2 years?

On the bright side, I literally have been backing up my data much more often, and thankfully had just backed it up days before the thing failed. :rolleyes:

9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The 750 GB XT is, for all intents and purposes, the perfect upgrade for a dual-boot MacBook Pro. SSD is not optimal in terms of capacity, given how much 500+ GB drives cost. It's also not ideal because TRIM is not supported on OS X without an official Apple drive or hacking the OS. Further, Boot Camp installs Windows in IDE mode, rather than AHCI. Again, it's possible to hack the OS but it's a time-consuming process that might not necessarily work. Doing optibay with a MBP is possible, but in order to install Windows on many models you have to use the Superdrive connected internally.

10. jclausius

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear that. Only thing I can say, is I'm at 23 months and still running strong on my RAID-1 volume of XTs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.