Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD w/ built-in 4GB SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Charles P. Jefferies, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crashnburn

crashnburn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone bought and using the 750g XT on the forums?

2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  3. wpcoe

wpcoe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have a 320GB Momentus XT in my notebook, and just noticed that Windows 7 Computer Management and DISKPART both show it with 298GB capacity. There is no unallocated space shown.

I do have a hidden 20GB "recovery partition," but I added up the size of the partitions shown by Win7, and it equals 298 including that partition.

Any ideas on my "missing" 22GB? It seems too much to attribute to the 1024 v 1000 practice for defining "mega-".

4. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It isn't too much, it is just right. (1000/1024)^3 = 0.93, 0.93*320 = 298

5. stefanp67

stefanp67 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did the 1024 vs 1000 calculation and 320GB with 1k=1000 gives 298GB with 1k=1024 so your 298GB capacity is correct.

6. wpcoe

wpcoe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Darn. I forgot to do it to a factor of 3! Thanks for the quick replies!

7. hakira

hakira <3 xkcd

Reputations:
    About how many time do I need to repeat an action (ie, restarting windows, opening ff, opening steam) for the nand to kick in and cache the actions?

I think my drive is a little confused because of the way I tend to use it (randomly), I am not really seeing a performance boost over a normal 7200rpm drive. I've restarted windows a good 20 times or so over the past 10 days, but it still boots up reading off the platters (can hear them spinning when windows is loading, takes the same amount of time as an hdd boot).

Strangely enough chrome seems to have been stored in the cache right away - it starts up in a blink, even though I only use it half as often as ff. What can I do to uh... optimize... the cache? Do I just keep restarting over and over?

8. Puferiu

Puferiu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a laptop with 2 bays. For best performance, should I use a Momentus XT or a ssd for OS and a 5400rpm hdd for storage ?

9. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    Correct, use the 5400RPM for storage.

10. ghostly00

ghostly00 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all, just got the XT 500 gigs and it came with the SD26 firmware on it.

Was trying to upgrade to the SD28 using the seagate utility software but it keeps failing. Doesnt even detects the hard drive during the scanning part.

My guess is its the way its connected to my laptop

Dv7-6165us which has 2 hard drive slots but im only using one at the moment untill i get a hard drive kit from hp to install the older hard drive back .

So maybe i try the other SATA port then? if so. that should affect booting back into windows or anything right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.