Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD w/ built-in 4GB SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Charles P. Jefferies, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crashnburn

crashnburn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Flooding thing so prices are high now - For 3-6 months supply will be slow from what BBC news says.

Is there a newer model with 8GB SS?

Has the 750GB XT with 8GB SS come out? Where?

2. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
  3. inm8#2

inm8#2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It was $90 from roughly the 24th-26th. Proof: Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST95005620AS | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com

[dead] Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS Newegg FS Subscriber only $ 89.99 24 hours only sale - Slickdeals.net

That's why I posted that price - not OUTSTANDING but a decent deal and even more rare considering the flooding. I still passed because I seem to only hear negative things about these drives failing after a few months.

4. andrei832

andrei832 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could you guys send a pm or post here if you see a good discount on this drive similar to that of 90$ ?

I want to buy it till Christmas but the price is a little high for me right now.

Thanks

5. dennycrane

dennycrane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been wondering about getting a laptop with this drive. I've read about some vibrations and noises coming from it. If that is the case how noticable and distracting are they?

6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This can vary by the drive itself. Some report no noticable increase while some drives will rival your cell phone. There is an apparent drive manufacturing issue with the platters. My first of two drives was one of these and vibrated so bad the drive kept resetting itself. One RMA later and I have two smooth running XT's...............

7. rawrasaurus

rawrasaurus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    SSD is the way to go, especially for the OS install. Momentus is kind of an odd tech imo, i don't see the point.

Kinda off-topic, but that "next laptop" in your siggy sounds pretty damn powerful considering a 1tb SSD would still be sky high in price even at the end of 2013. According to all the other specs, it should maybe be named late 2013-2014 laptop haha (HD 8000 series!? lmao not for a while.)

8. gull_s_777

gull_s_777 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not everyone like to spend 200$ for 100GB+ storage.....
    plus i think these XTs are great for those who have only one hard drive bay and don't want to loose their optical drive.....

9. ntrain96

ntrain96 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So whats the deal with Raid and 2 of these XT's? I assume RAID doubles the NAND flash memory capacity? So if I use 2 500gig XT's with 4gigs of NAND each I get in reality 8gigs? Shouldnt that improve the read caching significantly and allow for larger programs to be read off the flash memory instead of the platters?

10. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Doesn't really work like that - the nand is 'invisible' to the O/S so in RAID they're still operating independently as 2x 4GB not as 1x 8GB which performance-wise is a huge difference.

Also, the firmware makes a huge difference too. The 'old' XT after repeating the same 'run' 4 times or more is still slower or equal to the new XT on the first 'run' (ie: it learns much, much faster what to cache). After 3 or 4 runs, the new XT is equal to or better than SSD's (when it can cache the 'run' fully).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.