Seagate Momentus 7200.4 thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Apollo13, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean473

sean473 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    ok just a question... i know that u get these drives in Asus G73, which i'm planning to buy in about 4 months... the thing is that RAID isn't supported but can software RAID be done with these 2 drives in it?

2. skinnie

skinnie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys,I have the Seagate ST9500420AS (500Gb) ,and maybe I have the option to trade it for the 7k500 at no cost,would it be worth?
    I have no issues with this drive,I only think it vibrates a little..and makes noise like a fan..no usual HDD noise...

3. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    Yes, the 7K500 is faster, slightly quieter and more power efficient.

Tom's Hardware Comparison 7K500 vs. 7200.4

4. lucamax62

lucamax62 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I have the same problem with the Seagate momentus 7200rpm 500Gb with acc. sensor , my ST9500420ASG is always spinning.

I think it is something related to the hard drive itself because it has the same behavior of always turn with Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 and with Winddows XP.

In my Dell precision m4400 there is no settings in the Bios to determine the hard disk behavior (quiet, performace, normal on some Bios)

The previous hard disk , a Seagate Momentus 7200rpm 250Gb WITHOUT free fall sensor was acting normally, spinning down when idle.

Do the always spinning behavior might be related to the Free Fall Sensor ?

Could it be disable by software as ask in this post ? :http://forum.notebookreview.com/4586577-post820.html

5. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    Probably not.

There's usually a setting somewhere in Windows to determine when the hdd spins down.

6. lucamax62

lucamax62 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    you are right, I have contact Seagate support by chat, they told me that Free fall sensor is not responsible for hd always spinning.

They suggest me to test the drive, installing Seagate test software, SeaToolsforWindows, unfortunately I receive an error when running on XP (see attached picture) so I cannot test the drive.

I do not think that the problem is Windows settings since also Ubunto Lucid do the same, I mean the hard disk is always turning, and with the other version of Seagate Momentus 7200rpm 250Gb the hard disk stop to turn when idle.

Attached Files:

7. Gloem

Gloem Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I bought a HP ProBook with a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS a few month ago and everything works fine but by now the drive isn't recognized by the bios anymore. It hasn't made any strange sounds, so I think it might be the controller which went to hell.:mad:
    I opened the ProBook and removed the drive in order to plug it to a working desktop-pc (2 month old pc with an actual bios firmware) but the drive isn't recognized there too.
    After that I tried an external adapter which allows to plug HDDs to USB but the drive doesn't work.

So, to rescue the data I search for a new or used drive with a compatible controller to the one on my drive. These are the values on the drive:
    SN: 5VJ287QE
    ST9500420AS
    PN: 9HV144-022
    FW: 0006HPM1
    WWN:500C5001E47EDED
    CT: 2BAZD0183YA8WS
    NBPC: 515660-003

and these the values on the controller-side:
    720107HHH
    K M019N2QY

Maybe someone knows which are the relevant values?

Or has someone an other hint to get the drive to work or to rescue the data?

8. juan-antonio

juan-antonio Newbie

Reputations:

Hello I have the same problem that your. Also I have a HP Probook with the same hard disk.

Have you obtained some solution? I need help

Thank you

9. JonnyFrost

JonnyFrost Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    guys, I've this HDD in my second bay of the g73jh, its firmware is 0003sdm1, how can I check that the HDD is running fine?
    I am asking this because I lately suffered from some crash, and they happened while I either using itunes (which files are on the HDD) or moving files from the HDD to the SSD (like installing stuff), so I would like to check out if it could be an SSD/HDD fault...
    Yet I can play for hours with game that are installed on the SSD, so I would think it's either software or HDD fault...

Thoughts? Firmware updates suggested?

10. Audizzz

Audizzz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My drive is 500gb ST9500420ASG, OS Win 7 x64, Gateway P-7811FX.
    Intel Rapid Storage Technology and HDTunePro shows that Logical sector size is: 512 Bytes
    I fought its should be 4k? Isn't this drive use 4k Advanced Format?

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.