Scroll Devices

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by nowright, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nowright

nowright Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm currently looking for a new laptop. I've been using a Compaq Presario 700 from work that has a scroll button below the touchpad. I've really like this feature, but notice that most manufacturers don't offer them. I know I miss it when I use my girlfriends PowerBook. Is it really a convenience, or are they more trouble than they are worth.

My trip to CompUSA and BestBuy tells me that HP/Compaq and Emachines have such features. Any others I should know about.

Thanks,

Mel

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    Hi Mel,

I totally know what you mean about missing features on a keyboard when you are used to having them. Definitely go with a notebook that is comfortable to use, it's really more important than speed of the processor in the end as if you can't input fast what's the point of a fast computer.

Anyway, the laptops you mention have scroll wheels, I really like the IBM ThinkPad approach too. The ThinkPad T40 has a touchpad, pointing stick and scroll device. In my opinion IBM does the best job of any vendor in implementing dual pointing devices, both sets of buttons depress deeply to provide lots of feedback, to a level that no other notebook can match. The typing action, like on all ThinkPads, is firm yet quiet. You'll find IBM is more expensive though while with eMachines you'll get more bang for the buck.

/andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.