Screen replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Joaquin fregoni, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Joaquin fregoni

Joaquin fregoni Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys, I have a P75 Creator 9SF FHD but my screen cracked, so I need to replace it.
    I'm a photographer and I would love the 4k model.
    My FHD panel is the B173HAN04.2 and the 4k model of my laptop has the B173ZAN03.0
    One is 30pin and the other one 40pin. So I know I have to find the 40pins edp cable

I want to put the B173ZAN03.2 (AUO329B) instead of the B173ZAN03.0 because its HDR and 10bits

The (B173ZAN03.0) has this connector
    Brand I-PEX
    Model 20765-040E-11A
    Pitch 0.5 mm
    Pins 40 pins

And the one I want (B173ZAN03.2) has this connector
    Brand I-PEX
    Model 20682-040E-02
    Pitch 0.4 mm
    Pins 40 pins

This is what I'm thinking to do. What do you guys think ?

I will buy the B173ZAN03.2 (AUO329B) that is the one I like with 40 pins and 0.4mm pitch connector

I will also buy this cable because I have a FHD panel with 30 pins connector and the new one has a 40 pins connector.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-f...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

And I will also buy this adapter to go from 0.5mm pitch to 04mm (3rd item)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Please let me know if you think I'm doing something wrong or if I can do something better

Thanks

2. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Joaquin fregoni likes this.
  3. Joaquin fregoni

Reputations:
    Thanks for your answer.
    Yes, 60hz is ok for me, of course higher refresh rate is better. I'm not a gamer, just occasional, and I'm a photographer, so color accuracy is important.
    I have a few questions.
    Do you think that the B173zan5.0 (miniled) is better than the B173zan3.2 ? I heard HDR is problematic on the miniled one. the 3.2 is 10bits, hdr, 100%argb, 100%srgb, 470nits
    Is there any edp cable for the p75 with 40pins 0.4mm pitch? So I don't need an adapter
    if not the B173ZAN5.0 or B173ZAN3.2, what panel do you recomend? Higher FPS not needed but of course happy to have it.

4. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Joaquin fregoni

@Pedro69 completed a similar upgrade with the cable dilemma and it's hard to source a cable that converts from 0.5 to 0.4 if the OEM didn't use a 0.4 to begin with.

IPS vs miniled... you'll get a higher PPI with the mLED panel which can provide better detail

HDR will effectively cut the brightness by 50% when turned on so aiming for that 500 NIT is a good idea for indoor use with HDR turned on.

4K FPS is still lagging behind at this point as you can get 60hz fairly easily and 120hz if you hunt one down. It's hard currently to get a higher refresh rate w/o taxing the GPU due to the amount of area the GPU has to refresh on each cycle.

I went 4K from FHD a few months back even though it wasn't an OEM supported option and haven't looked back. It's not the fastest option but the screen imaging s a lot richer experience.

[​IMG]

FHD on the Left and 4K on the Right

There are other options potentially that won't require a pin pitch adapter if you just swap the cable from 30 >> 40 and avoid the adapter altogether.

I must have looked at 30-40 different panels before short listing 8 4K models and settling on the one I went with. There no real agnostic side by side image comparison of the panels though and sifting through reviews can be time consuming. This one in particular I went with is IGZO technology based which deviates from most of the popular choices of TN/IPS.

The issue with panels though is getting the exact model you put the effort into researching from a seller. Watch out for "compatible" when buying as they tend to swap them out with inferior panels that just fit but aren't exact specs 1:1 with the panel you want. Confirm they have the exact model before hitting Buy to avoid the panel shuffle and returns.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  5. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Problem here is does the board have the 40pin connector on it? If it doesn't then you will not be able to use the 40pin cable. Those connectors are motherboard built not something you just plug in. You should first contact the laptop manufacture about this first before getting a cable that doesn't fit. So unless that board was the 40pin board it will not work AFAIK.

6. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

About the cable, contact this guy that he will help you,

Clevo P750/1DM P775TM P770 P870 LCD cable and B156ZAN05.1 B173ZAN03.3 4K/120Hz B173HAN05.0/1 FHD/240/300Hz 40P EDP 0.4/5m Screen|Computer Cables & Connectors| - AliExpress

Atm, taobao is the only website where i can find the mini-led for sell...try search a good price for B173ZAN3.2

ALWAYS ask to the seller to send photos of the label, because some of them sell "compatible" screens.

7. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not necessarily. I had this quandary when doing my upgrade whereas the cable and MOBO were 30 pin but there was a clue in the service manual that there's a 40 pin cable that made me scratch my head. Anyway it took the 30 pins from the MOBO and fanned them out into a 40 pin panel connector. Not all of the pins are wired. It complicates things when trying to figure it out w/o hands on experience doing this.

If the laptop came with a pin option there should be a 40 pin cable that connects to a 30 pin socket on the board. Dig through the manuals and find the part number to confirm.

8. Joaquin fregoni

Reputations:
    Hello, thanks for your answer.

The laptop I have (MSI P75 Creator 9sf) also comes in a 4k version.

The 4k version uses the AUO B173ZAN3.0 PANEL wich has a 40pin 0.5mm pitch connector and I can find this cable.. The problem is that it is 0.5mm pitch and the one I like AUO B173ZAN3.2 has a 40pin 0.4mm pitch. That's why I will need an adapter.

This is the cable "I think I need"
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-f...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

And this the adapter to go from 40pin 0.5mm pitch to 40pin 0.4mm pitch (im not sure)
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Thanks again

9. Joaquin fregoni

Reputations:

Thank you, @Tech Junky
    I have never seen a mini led display, so I don't know how much better it is. About the mini led that the MSI creator 17 has, the AUO B173ZAN5.0, I'm not sure if its 0.4 or 0.5mm pitch. There is no info at panelook. I can't find a seller either.
    Thanks about the "compatible" thing, I will pay attention.
    What is the best 4k panel you have seen?, I'm mostly between the AUO B173ZAN series. The B173ZAN3.0 is the one from my laptop but 4k, so I don't need the pitch adapter, but it is 8 bits, not HDR 400nits and 1000/1 CR, then the B173ZAN3.2 is the one I think is the best option, with 1200/1 CR, 470nits, 10bits, 100%argb, 100%srgb and HDR, but I need adapter and then the B173ZAN5.0 with miniled and 1000 nits.. I just don't know the connector and the accurancy.

10. Joaquin fregoni

Reputations:
    Thank you @Pedro69
    Thanks about the "compatible" thing. I will do that.
    I can't find the "taobao" site to search for the miniled panel.

What panel did you replaced ? Have you seen the miniled or the B173ZAN3.2? What do you think about my choice of the B173ZAN3.2? Did you use the pitch adapter ?
    Thanks again for your help, I have to do it well and buy one time because I live on a remote island in the pacific, so I can't return anything.

cheers