1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Screen hinge lubrication

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ed22, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ed22

ed22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What lubricant will you recommend to lubricate the screen hinges in a laptop? My laptop makes a cracking noise every time I open or close the lid. My laptop is a Toshiba L20-SP119 (equivalent to the L25-S119, just with a spanish keyboard). Thanks.

2. thelaxplaya7

thelaxplaya7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes it should work if u lube it, but also check to see if the plastics are rubbing against each other that was my problem, then i took of the plastic casing and then it fixed that, as for a recommendation, I'm not sure never really heard of any try 3-in-1 oil?

3. dietcokefiend

dietcokefiend DietGreenTeaFiend

Reputations:
    The clutches that are inside the hinges require a special grease lubricant. Not oil. They are usually pregreased and remain that way for life with no way of adjustment besides replacing them. Cracking sound means that something is broken.

4. Qhs

Qhs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you mean creaking? Cracking means something worse.

5. valley

valley Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    soap (no joke) or graphite powder, you can buy at most automotive supply stores in tiny tubes for $1.60.

6. rdnx7

rdnx7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    it may have come with grease, but I see way that it would be required. Oil should stop the creaking, even if it is only a temporary fix.