Screen flickering when the lid is open and titled back and forth

Discussion in 'HP' started by Anovice, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anovice

Anovice Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a 3-4 year old HPG50-126NR laptop. The p/n on the back of the laptop is NP534UA. It has Windows Vista Home Basic, 32-bit, with Service Pack 2. When I purchased it, the cost was $300.

When I open the lid (screen) to the upright position and then adjust the lid (tilt back or forth) , I get flickering and horizontal lines on the screen. When the lid is open and not adjusted (titled back or toward the keyboard), I can use the laptop all day with no flickering.

I Googled this issue and this problem seems to be with certain model HP Pavilion's and Compaq Presario's (and maybe other models). I understand the problem is the "LCD video flex cable". It is shorting by wear of opening and closing the lid. Sooner or later it will short out completely.

I called HP parts regarding the cable and they indicated the part number is 486583-001 and that it cost $39.12 plus tax and shipping (HP called it a "display cable"). There is a local computer repair place that will install it for $50. That said, I am reluctant to put approximately $100 into a 3-4 year old laptop that was almost entry level even when bought. Also, today, with somewhat better specifications, I see laptops on sale for approximately the same price. However, the part number that HP gave me is for a G50 with a webcam. My G50 does not have a webcam, so I am not certain if HP gave me a correct part number for the video flex cable.

I have a few questions.

First, based on your experience with the G50 (and it's history) does it sound like the video flex cable going bad (I can use the laptop all day without any flickering so long as I do not adjust the lid)?

Second, I see on Ebay or Amazon that new video cables for HP Pavilion's and Compaq Presario's are available in the $10-$15 range. However, there seems to be a number of different cables (or it just looks that way since I have no idea what I am looking at) and I do not know which is the one for my laptop. If I could purchase one for $10 or $15, which will put my total cost for repair at $60 or $65, that would be more digestible. Do you know the correct part number and where the cable can be purchased other than from HP?

Thanks much.

Anovice

2. billa48

billa48 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Open the laptop, press your screen gently on the top left side about 3 inches from the top and 4 inches from the left, while you hold the screen with your right hand firmly from the top. If you get a flicker then its just the connector on the back of the screen. If you do not get the flicker but it still flickers when you move the screen then it's the cable that's damaged.

1. If you get a flicker with the depression test then all you have to do is disassemble the screen, pull the display cable from the back of the screen, take a magnifying glass and lift the pins on the connector on the back of the screen, NOT the connector on the cable, but the female receptor ON the screen. You can lift those pins by gently pushing in a small safety pin between the connecting pins and the plastic casing of the connector, GENTLY.

2. If you get the flicker only by moving the screen, disassemble the computer a bit so that the display cable going to the screen is in view. Then as the laptop sits open, move the cable in every direction a bit, if it's just the cable then you will find out right there, or if you wanna go all boffin, test every connection on that cable with a meter.

Any flickering while moving or flexing the screen is largely just that display cable. And in rare cases the flat belt connections on top of your LCD screen. But do that first, see if that helps. And you can do it yourself, just take your time, why pay somebody 50 60 bux to replace a 5 dollar part.

3. Anovice

Anovice Newbie

Reputations:
    billa 48,

First, thanks very much for your post. I was starting to lose faith ;-)

There is no flicker when I press screen gently on the top left side about 3 inches from the top and 4 inches from the left, while I hold the screen with your right hand firmly from the top.

I only get the flicker when I move the screen (lid), so the problem definitely appears to be the LCD video flex cable, or as HP technical and parts call it, the "display cable".

I do not mind trying to fix (change) the cable and can attempt to do so with a friend who is far more adept at these type things than I am. However, I do not know of any way to figure out the proper cable to purchase! I have called HP a few times (parts and technical people) and I continually get the same answer. IF my laptop had a webcam, the part number would be 486583-001 and I can cross reference this on the internet for a generic display cable. But, my laptop does not have a webcam and HP tells me that since my laptop is obsolete, they no longer can pull up a parts manual to determine the part number I need. I expressed to them that it makes no sense to me whatsoever, that they can give me a display cable part number for my model and product number with a webcam, but not a display cable part number for my model and product number without a webcam (the only thing I can possibly think is they added a webcam to my model at a later date and that is not obsolete). In fact, they can't (won't) even tell me if part number 486583-001 will work on my laptop.

A friend did some research and came up with this display cable:

Amazon.com: L.F. New LCD Screen Video Flex Cable for Laptop Notebook HP G50 Compaq Presario CQ50, Compatible part numbers 50.4H507.001 REV:A01 Wistron Warrior 15.4"(Single) ...: Computers & Accessories

So yes, as you said, it is basically a $5 part. And yes, with a friend I am willing to try to do it myself. But I am back to square one. How in the world can I determine the part number so I then try to purchase it on the internet.

Anovice

4. billa48

billa48 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Look on ebay, you'll find that cable for under 10 bux. The cable, with or without the webcam does not change anything for you. Get one if that doesnt work you can always return it for the other. You'll have to try it. Just put your model number there, be patient and check craigslist for parts laptops aswell. Or just post an ad that you need a display cable for a g50, plenty people have stuff layin around they'd rather see gone.

P.S. I just checked that cable is like 4 bux on ebay man.

5. unfaix

unfaix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Does it flicker if you squeeze the LCD and not the keyboard portion?

That will confirm if you need a new LCD cable or not.

If it flicker , then its the cable or the connectors.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

6. Anovice

Anovice Newbie

Reputations:
    No, it does not flicker when I squeeze the LCD. I only get the flicker when I move the screen (lid)

The problem is the display cable. As I cannot find the part number, I will have to buy a few, and hopefully one will work.

Anovice

7. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If they won't tell you the cable, then you need to look it yourself... ;)

Google searched with the model number you provided, first result is this:
    Manuals for HP G50-126NR Notebook PC | HP® Support
    Find and open "HP G50 Notebook PC and Compaq Presario CQ50 Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide"
    Go to page 22 and see "Display panel cable (not illustrated) 486561-001"

Apparently there is only one lcd cable, webcam cable would be separate if there is one. In that guide is also pretty good instructions how to change all the important parts.

8. Anovice

Anovice Newbie

Reputations:
    KLF,

Thanks so much for your help. I now feel I am on the road to resolution!

I went to Amazon and searched "486561-001". It came up with the following display cables:

Amazon.com: 486561-001: Electronics

As you can see in the above like, it also lists a part number as "50.4H508.001". When I search that number in Amazon, I come up with this page:

Amazon.com: 486561-001: Electronics

In your opinion, is HP part number 486561-001 and 50.4H508.001 the same display cable? What I am thinking is 50.4H508.001 is the corresponding Compaq part number. Do you agree?

Then when I go to Ebay and search "486561-001", it comes up with the following cables:

486561-001 | eBay

Note that the second one down from NYPC -TECH fro $7.92 indicates two part numbers, the 486561-001 AND 486583-001, but also has the 50.4H508.001. The third one down for $17.00 only says 486561-001, but again indicates 50.4H508.001. Do you think both the one for $7.92 and $17.00 are the same display cable?

Finally, when I search 50.4H508.001 in Ebay, I come up with the following link:

50.4H508.001 | eBay

I see no cross reference to 486561-001.

So, I have the these last questions:

1. What do you make of 50.4H508.001 in relation to 486561-001?

2, Do you think 486561-001 and 486583-001 are interchangeable parts?

Anovice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.